removing sticker from acoustic - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

removing sticker from acoustic

I have an old acoustic lying around here that I just sold, but the thing has these ugly stickers i have never gotton around to taking off. Is there any safe way to take off those stickers without hurting/damaging the guitar or the finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 08:18 AM

Does your guitar have a high-gloss finish or a satin oil finish?

If your guitar's finish is high-gloss, you can rarely go wrong with lighter fluid. I've removed stickers from all kinds of stuff (wood, hardback book covers, plastic DVD packages, etc.), and I've never had a problem with lighter fluid discoloring or eating into a finish. As with everything, though, it's best to test first in an inconspicuous area.

Starting with one sticker, use a few drops of lighter fluid until the sticker is saturated. After letting it soak for a bit, gently peel the sticker back. Using this method will take a while, and will probably require you to remove the leftover residue under each sticker. (It depends on how long the stickers have been on your acoustic.) Just be patient and work with one small area at a time.

Keep plenty of paper towels on hand, and be sure to buy some that are entirely white. Sometimes, paper towels are printed with inks that can run or smear when subjected to solvents.

If you have an oil finish, check with a furniture/paint store before you do anything. Since oil finishes usually leave some of the woodgrain exposed, chances are that your stickers have made more contact with the guitar. Also, oil finishes are typically thinner than gloss finishes... and there's a small chance that lighter fluid could eat into the finish.

Finally, do not try "Goo Gone" or "Oops" unless you're fearless of heart! Both of those products contain a powerful agent called napthalene, and chances are that you'll cloud up or eat into whatever finish is on your guitar. Rubbing alcohol can sometimes work on stickers, but it dries quickly and can leave "fog" spots. Lighter fluid is your best bet!

Good luck,
Spencer
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 08:29 AM

Just use some white spirit, doesnt do any harm. That will take off any sticky marks easy! I always use it on my CD's when you buy them with the price labels on. The white spirit is so strong - it practically melts the sticky mark. And it doesnt do any harm.

If no - try furniture polish. That has acids in it which dissolves the sticky marks also.

Gary - The.Godfather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode