removing trem studs? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

removing trem studs?

Hi I want to remove my ibanez locking studs to put onto a custom guitar I'm having built, is there any way to pull out the locking stud inserts? you know, the bits that are fitted into the guitar not the screw in bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 12:38 AM

Re: removing trem studs?

those are so hard to get out, you can try skrewing in the posts and have something grip the posts and try to force it out, or if its a body your going to throw away cut the wood around it, if its ofr or similiar (edge3) you can buy them at all parts for about 12 dollars a set
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 AM

put a stud in the insert and you use some pliers to grip it and pull it. IF all works, the stud will pull the insert out as well if you use enough force.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 AM

First, trim around the insert with a sharp razor to cut the paint that has "sealed" it in. The thread the pivot stud in at least half way. You can use a small pry bar or even a hammer with a long flat claw, but make sure to use a block or something to protect the guitar body. You want to try and pull straight out as not to chip the wood. If you do happen to chip the wood, however, make sure you save the chips to glue back in.

Good luck.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

Many thanks.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Well Project Guitar, has a tutorial , which I hope helps.

Just need a board & hammer

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trs2lopro.htm
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
put a stud in the insert and you use some pliers to grip it and pull it. IF all works, the stud will pull the insert out as well if you use enough force.
Oh, God, No! Not unless you plan on throwing away the stud! Not only that, put if you side-pull the insert enough (not pulling straight up), it will elongate/enlarge the hole.

This is very easy: Get yourself a 6mm phillips-head bolt, about 1-1/2" in length (gotta be longer than the insert), and a stack of fender washers (a stack, again, taller than an insert), with center holes larger than the o.d. of the inserts. Grab one with a smaller center hole, too (You'll see in a sec). If it's a flatmount trem, you simply stack the washers over the insert in question, with the smaller-hole washer on top of the stack. Insert the bolt down through the stack, and thread it into the insert. Take your phillips screwdriver, and start "tightening" the bolt. As you do, it will pull the insert out of the hole.
Now, in the case of a recessed trem, you will have to ensure two opposite sides of the insert are level with each other, so that the washers stack perpendicular to the top face of the body. I usually just use some thick scraps of plexiglass, that I have lying around. But the procedures still the same. I've been trialfitting all the parts on my upcoming project, like this, and it makes things super-simple.

Oh, and if you have a drill press, it really comes in handy as an arbor press, to push those inserts in , for ya. MUCH easier than pounding away on the friggin things with a hammer and block. Yikes!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM

Hmm, you lost me at "now in the case of a recessed trem." Why would you have to make sure the opposite sides of the inserts are level? So that you won't oblong the hole?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:47 PM

Exactly. You want to make it a nice, even pull, straight up. And I use fender washers, because of their large footprint. Helps dispurse the pressure, evenly, without denting any wood.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Vendor

Overkill. It's wood, not porcelain.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 AM

Lordy, and here I went at my stud anchors with a hammer and Guitar World magazine for padding.....
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Vendor

Some people just do, and some turn everything into an egineering project
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Overkill. It's wood, not porcelain.
Overkill? Dude, you are talking about a rather soft material, that is critical in retaining those inserts for tuning stability, especially up toward the top of the holes and inserts, where it's seeing most of it's stress. You want to keep those insert holes as true as possible, really.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelblack2 View Post
Lordy, and here I went at my stud anchors with a hammer and Guitar World magazine for padding.....
I'm not saying you CAN'T do it that way, but you ARE running a risk.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelblack2 View Post
I'm not saying you CAN'T do it that way, but you ARE running a risk. Take a look at how a claw hammer pulls out a nail, or the insert for that matter. It isn't exactly straight up, not to mention the technique that I mentioned has a more even, consistant pull, much unlike tugging and jerking on a claw hammer.

Tags
allen wrench , custom guitar , guitar body , locking stud , locking studs , recessed trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode