repair horn for strap button - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
repair horn for strap button

Ok two questions here.

1- Is there a best way to repair the upper horn where a strap button was stripped out of it? Fill with a dowel and redrill maybe? seems a little extreme and tough to do on an edge like that.
2 - Best way to remove glue residue from duct tape that has been wrapped around the body for years without damaging the finish? Anyone tried Goo gone?

And I swear I searched for this but didn't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Re: repair horn for strap button

Goo Gone works fine, it will not hurt the finish.
Take a toothpick and put it down the hole for the strap button screw to see how long to break the toothpick off at. Then just drop the toothpick in the hole and start screwing the strap button in again.
If it is still loose add more toothpicks.
This works good on neck screws too!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:55 AM

like seb said, but if you add a gob of wood glue when you put in the toothpick, it's a little stronger and more permanent. I've done this numerous times, the toothpick method really works! Wood glue doesn't stick to metal screws, and it will form threads around the screw. I did some destrictive testing with hardwood flooring once, purposely stripping a screw thread, and then doing the toothpick trick. It really does make nice threads out of the mashed up wood+glue.

A
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Reviews: 18

Don't do the toothpick route. That's the lazy way of doing it. If you want to do it decent, use wood filler and fill that hole. Use something like liquid nails or Elmer's wood filler (sold at home depot). Fill the hole and pack it in as its drying, let it sit for a couple of days and then screw strap button in. I had a problem with my stock schaller strap buttons on one of my strats (the screw was loose) and once I did that, the problem went away.

Jimmy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Don't do the toothpick route. That's the lazy way of doing it. If you want to do it decent, use wood filler and fill that hole. Use something like liquid nails or Elmer's wood filler (sold at home depot). Fill the hole and pack it in as its drying, let it sit for a couple of days and then screw strap button in. I had a problem with my stock schaller strap buttons on one of my strats (the screw was loose) and once I did that, the problem went away.

Jimmy
Jimmy, as much as the filler does a good job in most wood working situations, It doesn't work well for a screw that will have any torsional (side by side) forces applied to it.

It doesn't work for a couple of reasons.

First- the filler continues to shrink for months after application......this alone will cause the screw to wiggle in the hole.

Second- When dry, filler is brittle. it will crack and chip INSIDE the hole.....this will be exaggerated when the screw above starts to wiggle.

Third....It is nearly impossible to fill the hole completely. There will be a pocket of air inside the cavity because of the pressure created while trying to push it in........ the air gap will cause more weakness.

The toothpick method is the correct way to repair this problem for a few reasons.

First... any glued joint between two pieces of wood is inherently stronger than the wood was originally.

Second- the toothpicks will swell when whetted with the glue. this and the glue will fill the hole completely.... when the screw is inserted (with the glue still wet) it will fill the void completely.........no air gaps.

Third- the toothpick method takes only minutes, not days, to complete.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Jimmy, as much as the filler does a good job in most wood working situations, It doesn't work well for a screw that will have any torsional (side by side) forces applied to it.

First- the filler continues to shrink for months after application......this alone will cause the screw to wiggle in the hole.

Second- When dry, filler is brittle. it will crack and chip INSIDE the hole.....this will be exaggerated when the screw above starts to wiggle.

Third....It is nearly impossible to fill the hole completely. There will be a pocket of air inside the cavity because of the pressure created while trying to push it in........ the air gap will cause more weakness.

The toothpick method is the correct way to repair this problem for a few reasons.

First... any glued joint between two pieces of wood is inherently stronger than the wood was originally.

Second- the toothpicks will swell when whetted with the glue. this and the glue will fill the hole completely.... when the screw is inserted (with the glue still wet) it will fill the void completely.........no air gaps.

+1
I have used toothpicks and a wood emulator, but the toothpicks are always superior. time is definitely one upside to the toothpicks, but the wood filler has no grain and is pretty weak. it can get brittle with small amounts, and you would be better off using a couple toothpicks and maybe a dab of tightbond. (or similar wood glue)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

I was actually thinking of using a mixture of sawdust and wood glue and pushing it into the hole with the toothpicks. Then put the screw in. I'd never use wood filler it's just too weak.

You should see this guitar. The previous owner tried to wrap scotch tape and duct tape around the upper horn to hold the strap pin in place. Or he was just taping his strap right to the guitar (who knows) I keep finding pieces of tape all over this guitar. Obviously this didn't hold worth a darn by the chips and dings all over this thing. I can only wonder how many times he dropped this guitar trying to tape his strap in place.

Last edited by sssteve72; 11-04-2011 at 12:27 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

THIS!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 02:20 PM

I've used the toothpick method and variations of it strap buttons and bigger projects. Never used glue with it though and never had a problem. It's fast, cheap, easy, works, and you are the only person who knows about it. Call it lazy all you want but it works and a person with less than the most basic skills and tool can do it.

Tags
glue removal , repair strap button , strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode