Replace Edge Pro With Edge/ Lo-pro Edge Trem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Replace Edge Pro With Edge/ Lo-pro Edge Trem

Hi folks , I'm French and new on Jemsite, that is for me the best Web site about ibanez Guitars

So I would like to put a Edge or Lo-pro Edge on my JEM77B RMR " Bah horsie" , but it looks like the Edge an Lo-Pro don't fit the post-2003 JEMs.

But i Don't understand Why it couldn't , because the Trem routing of the Body does not seem to have Changed since The first JEM (with Lion claws) was built , but maybe I'm Wrong ?

Could somebody help me for this problem , because I'm just fully scared about routing the Mirror finish..

Why I wan't to replace the Trem is because the guitar doesn't stay in tune when I Dive the bar ( like if the Springs were not powerful enough to exactly put the trem to the original position) , but this problem appeared 4 month ago, and i didn't have the problem when I bought the guitar.

So I really Need Help. I just cannot believe that Ibanez installed those F*****G Trems on such an expensive Guitar ( but also a dream !!) 2700€ in France ...

Thanks

P.S: Please Forgive my English! Proud to join Jemsite community !!

Last edited by Vaistarr; 03-11-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: mistake into a sentence , necessary for comprehnsion ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Vendor

Re: Replace Edge Pro With Edge/ Lo-pro Edge Trem

A new trem won't fix the problem. Fix the problem, and if you still want a new trem then ask again.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 PM

it could be anything, ur trem post's could be worn and the angles could be shifting the balance on the bridge.....maybe get ur guitar setup, new back springs, new trem post's, new base plate for the trem...where the fulcrum plate is

other than that....are you good with a dremel... and a sharp chissel??
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for answering!

My trem post are in good condition , and ared used. My seller also Told me that it could be the nut , but I think not. The trem angle is good !

But i ve read on many sites that Edge Pro bridges weren't really good.. Can somebody confirm or contest this affirmation?

RICH , i tried to read your "Tuning stability tutorial on IBZ rules ,, but my english level doesn't allow me to understand everything... I'll see with a friend to give you more information.

Nevertheless , can I fit an Original Floyd rose on the jem , instead of installing an EDGE / Lo-Pro EDGE ??

Thx. See Ya !
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Vendor

It's very doubtful the trem is your problem.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Reviews: 18

Without seeing the guitar, I'd say that your guitar would be a prime candidate for the stud lock mod and for some chapstick, along with stretching the strings properly.

Jimmy
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Without seeing the guitar, I'd say that your guitar would be a prime candidate for the stud lock mod and for some chapstick, along with stretching the strings properly.

Jimmy
Yes I've read a topic about the trem post and studs mod kit that i could order on Cottam Guittars.com (or IBZ rules.com) Is this modification really working ? ANd sorry for my english ignorance ( babelfish couldn't help me) but What does " chapstiks" means ?

Thanks for all your ANSWERS Friends
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM

Chapstick is lip balm, or some product that you can purchase at a beauty store to treat dry, chapped lips (hence the "chapstick" name).

The stud lock mod works without question. Ibanez simply decided to not put it into their guitars to cut costs and people have been upset about it ever since. The mod allows for the studs to lock in place and prevent any movement when you're using the trem.

Jimmy

Last edited by jb4674; 03-26-2008 at 04:33 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Ibanez simply decided to not put it into their guitars to cut costs and people have been upset about it ever since.
Jimmy
Unless you can provide evidence proving otherwise, I believe at best this is an assumption.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLamer View Post
Unless you can provide evidence proving otherwise, I believe at best this is an assumption.
Search the forums for your answer or call Rich and he'll tell you

Jimmy
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Try and discredit all you want, it has been extensively tested by me and quite a few other perfectionst minded players.

The NEW cosmo studs are a much better fit, the slop has been cut down dramatically, but IMO it's because of the way they're spraying a paint rim onto the inside of the inserts, and I seriously wonder how long that will last before it disintegrates.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Have you contributed anything to this forum besides posts like this? Oh, how I love ignore.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 AM

Look again, my previous post pertained to the assumption that Ibanez was no longer utilizing the locking studs, due to cutting costs.

baaaAAAaaaa!!!!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Vendor

It goes without saying they eliminated them to cut costs, and there is plenty of evidence if you knew what you were talking about
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 AM

Mind directing me to a non-biased source that mentions the reasoning behind Ibanez's decision to stop manufacturing the locking studs?

Tags
base plate , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , locking stud , locking studs , pro edge , retainer bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode