Replacement EMGs - battery cavity query... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Replacement EMGs - battery cavity query...

Hi, please help me address this query:

Is it necessry to route out the guitar body just to accomodate the battery to power EMG PUs (assuming that the guitar in question wasn't made to accomodate EMGs)?

Kudos in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 12:27 PM

Replacement EMGs

Nope. As long as you've got room for a 9-volt battery in your existing control cavity, there's no need to add another hole in your guitar for the battery. The big advantage of having a dedicated battery cavity is that you can get one with a snap-down hinged lid to make battery changing very easy without requiring any tools.

I've got an active pre-amp in one of my guitars and the electronics and battery fit fine in there. However, JEMs, UVs and RGs do tend to have really tiny control cavities, with barely enough room for two pots and the five-way switch, so your mileage may vary.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 02:03 PM

Replacement EMGs

Darren,
Where can I find the snapping battery lid ? I have been looking for one to mount (screw of glue) to a control cavity cover. This way I can utilize the existing cavity but still have the ease of changing batteries without tools.
Thanks !
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 08:24 PM

Replacement EMGs

Quote:
Quote: from big al on 1:03 pm on Jan. 17, 2001
Darren,
Where can I find the snapping battery lid ? I have been looking for one to mount (screw of glue) to a control cavity cover. This way I can utilize the existing cavity but still have the ease of changing batteries without tools.
Thanks !
http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/2.asp...=Battery_Boxes

Providing you've got adequate depth in your control cavity, you could probably just cut a hole in your control cavity cover and use the one designed for an acoustic guitar.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Replacement EMGs

it's kinda sad that some guitars wren't made to accomodate EMGs, coz if we have to dig a hole in 'em it's gonna upset the tone...

but IMO it's better to have a specialized cavity for the battery. i have a friend here who installed EMGs into his BC Rich Warlock; he has to tape his battery down, it's kinda awful... everytime the tape's adhesives wear out, u can hear the battery dangling & knocking against his guitar. sheesh. :lame:

but that EMG crunch is kinda irresistable...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 12:26 AM

Replacement EMGs

germX,

I've been able to squeeze EMG installations into my RG-750 and RG-760 models without great concerns for space or any additional routing. *My RG-750 runs on 18v (two 9v batteries in series), with both batteries nesting in the rear trem spring cavity with some foam rubber to keep them from rattling around. *There's some contact with the springs with the foam but I haven't noticed any tuning problems yet. *

The sound is amazing! *The 81-SA-85 combination (with the 81 in the bridge) woke my rig up, both straight into the amp and through a rack. *
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 05:16 AM

Replacement EMGs

If you don't want to wait to Stew Mac to ship it, I'm sure Radio Shack has the same part.
If you don't want to cut a chunk out of the body, you might want to try cutting out a hole in your existing control plate and screwing the battery thingie in there. I'm not sure if that will work though, just a theory I have.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Replacement EMGs

RG Medic,

Need more specifics here please...

How do you actually lay down the battery in that trem spring vicinity? did you like lay it down horizontally? do you have a pic of this lay out? (sorry if i'm asking too much... :biggrin: )

kudos in advance

Tags
acoustic guitar , cavity cover , guitar body , rich warlock , spring cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode