Replacement neck options for 1990/1 540s - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Replacement neck options for 1990/1 540s

Long time lurker, first post and thread. Love this place.

I'm thinking of replacing the neck on my 540s. I believe it is either 1990 or 1991. It is the "black cherry" version, HSS. I'd post a JPG of the old catalog page, but I don't have enough posts! Serial number is: F011951

Could someone point me in the right direction for options that will drop-in with minimal fuss? I would like something meatier. The current neck is really cramping up my hand.

I love Jackson necks, and wish I could drop one in, but I believe that's not possible. Or requires much modification. I'm a very conflicted person: love Jackson necks, love Ibanez bodies. Sigh. I also like the necks on the Gibson Melody Maker reissues from (I think) 2000-2004, PRS wide-fat, and Fender's "soft-v" on the Baja Tele.

Suggestions and options? I'm also considering sending the body in to Ed Roman, as it seems like he would be able to match it up with something new or used in his inventory. But I'd rather hear from the true fanatics here first!

I should mention that I am hoping for a used, vintage, and/or "in-stock" neck, rather than a custom build from scratch, due to my limited budget for this project.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Re: Replacement neck options for 1990/1 540s

If you're looking for a thicker neck that fits the S body exactly and looks completely stock (I guess since your guitar is a 1990 it has the square heel), you should probably look for a square heel Ibanez Viper neck, as found on Radius models (440R, 540R). Your other choice would be a neck from a Satriani JS1 or JS1000. Check the bay, something usually pops up for sale...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
If you're looking for a thicker neck that fits the S body exactly and looks completely stock (I guess since your guitar is a 1990 it has the square heel), you should probably look for a square heel Ibanez Viper neck, as found on Radius models (440R, 540R). Your other choice would be a neck from a Satriani JS1 or JS1000. Check the bay, something usually pops up for sale...
Thank you! That is exactly the type of information I was hoping for. The **** hunt is on... Any other suggestions welcome.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Would a JS600 or JS100 neck fit my guitar? If so, would they also have a thicker neck carve than my Wizard? I can't post links to evil-bay, but these two necks are currently for sale there.

Also, whatever neck I end up using does not have to look stock, or be Ibanez. Heck, I'd love a Jackson reverse headstock-style.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 AM

This will give you what you need know.
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstar View Post
Also, whatever neck I end up using does not have to look stock, or be Ibanez. Heck, I'd love a Jackson reverse headstock-style.
In that case any Warmoth or USA Custom neck will do fine. Just get the reverse Jackson headstock, and whatever neck profile you want. It's a standard Strat fitting.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the continuing information, guys. I'm bookmarking the pages with specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
In that case any Warmoth or USA Custom neck will do fine. Just get the reverse Jackson headstock, and whatever neck profile you want. It's a standard Strat fitting.
I asked Warmoth about this some time ago, and their response was:

Quote:
We have no neck available that is compatible with the Ibanez.
Maybe they were thinking of the newer neck heel, introduced in '93 or so? I would be pretty psyched to use a Warmoth or Carvin neck. I just didn't realize it was Strat replacement-compatible! So it sounds like a Warmoth, USA Custom, or Carvin neck would fit this Ibanez?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 PM

Yeah,they would of thought you meant an AANJ model. The square heal is quite universal size wise,heck,you could put a fender strat neck in that guitar if you wished! Though i don't know how high the fret board would be in relation to the body.By that i mean i'm unsure if there is a difference in depth of the heal block.

Tags
540s , neck , replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode