Replacement nut for Ibanez S540LTD: options? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Question Replacement nut for Ibanez S540LTD: options?

Hey all,

I'm looking to replace the nut on my lefty '95 Ibanez S540LTD as the previous owner installed a dodgy aftermarket part. Rich (ibanezrules.com) only has a single original lefty nut for sale (discontinued) which is listed at $75. Sadly my student budget can't afford this.

Will a Stewmac or original Floyd Rose nut work instead? The guitar has a Wizard neck and Lo Pro Edge trem.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:17 PM

Re: Replacement nut for Ibanez S540LTD: options?

A Gotoh GHL-1 should work, and be a near exact replacement. About the lefty part, I'm not sure if Gotoh offers them in lefty. They do make a lefty handed GE1996T, so it would only make sense that they make a lefty nut for it.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:18 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthyrian View Post
A Gotoh GHL-1 should work, and be a near exact replacement. About the lefty part, I'm not sure if Gotoh offers them in lefty. They do make a lefty handed GE1996T, so it would only make sense that they make a lefty nut for it.
The GHL-1 will work, but the string radius is wrong. It has a 400mm radius instead of the 430mm on the original. This isn't a HUGE difference, but it will change the amount of action adjustment the OP will have. I.E........the D and G strings will always have a slightly higher action than the A and B which will, in turn, have slightly higher action than the high and low E's.

If I were the OP, I'd wait to save the money for an original. There's no point in replacing a wrong part with another wrong part.....especially on a quality guitar like the S540. Just my 2 cents.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 10:34 AM

Good looking out! I somehow missed that detail.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. Well spotted on the nut radius, RGTFanatic. I start full-time work on November 1st so I reckon I'll bite the bullet and spend $75 on the original part.

Cheers and thanks again

Tags
nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode