Replacement trem for strat - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Replacement trem for strat

I've been out of the guitar thing for a gooood while now. I recently obtained a MIM Fender strat. And I was wondering if there were any after market trem's that were awesome that fit on a MIM Strat (Vintage screw not twin pivot) Also, if there was a locking one? Or Can someone custom make one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:46 AM

Re: Replacement trem for strat

the wilkinson 2 point trem.

All you have to do, apparently, is widen to outermost holes to fit the posts in. then BAM you're playing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 AM

Callaham bridges are about as well made as you can get. You'll hear a real difference in the tone too, not just in how well it functions:
http://www.callahamguitars.com

I'm not aware of a vintage screw locking trem - they don't have enough movement to make it worth while.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Callaham bridges are about as well made as you can get. You'll hear a real difference in the tone too, not just in how well it functions:
http://www.callahamguitars.com

I'm not aware of a vintage screw locking trem - they don't have enough movement to make it worth while.
Best strat trems out there
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_UV777 View Post
I've been out of the guitar thing for a gooood while now. I recently obtained a MIM Fender strat. And I was wondering if there were any after market trem's that were awesome that fit on a MIM Strat (Vintage screw not twin pivot) Also, if there was a locking one? Or Can someone custom make one?
There are a lot of options out there in terms of Strat upgrades. Guitarfetish sells some good stuff that doesn't cost much. You can nab a Wilkinson vintage-style bridge there, with a steel block that will make a big difference in sustain over the MIM zinc block. GFS also sells their own line of blocks, and they make one that fits MIM strats.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-...cks_c_219.html

Then, in order to get a little more tuning stability, they sell the Wilkinson EZ-lock tuners, or their own knock-off locking tuners.

The final step is to get a Tusq XL or similar nut -- this is one of the key points in tuning stability. They change the tone a bit too.

All of that combined will not work as well as a Floyd, but will do a great deal to help you stay in tune.

Callaham's stuff is reputedly amazing, but his gear is more about sustain and tone than tuning stability.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM

Wilkinson VSVG. End of story.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 PM

vote for wilkinson gotoh two point. the action is very smooth!!

Tags
strat , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode