Replacement tremolo arm for 1983 "standard tremolo" - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Replacement tremolo arm for 1983 "standard tremolo"

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a early 1983 DT-155 today from a local music shop (woo!), and unfortunately the guitar is equipped with what has been referred to as a "standard tremolo" system for which the whammy bar was not included. I knew this going into the purchase, figuring that there has to be a whammy bar out there somewhere that will get along with this tremolo. The problem is that I am having trouble finding any specific information about this particular trem system. The name is so vague that I'm not really coming across anything useful in my search across the web. There were also the "Powerocker" and "Pro Rock'R w/Top Lok" offered at that time according to an old catalog I found, but mine is neither of those. It's a push-in arm type, not a screw-in.

As I do not have 10 posts on the forums yet, I can't seem to post the links to the images I've uploaded to TinyPic so the best I can do is describe it. The saddles are S-shaped, and it looks really similar to a Strat's bridge.

Anybody have an Ibanez with this type of tremolo system? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:22 PM

Re: Replacement tremolo arm for 1983 "standard tremolo"

Here's a link for what your describing, I think:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/po...em-115278.html

It says it uses the push in edge arm, and if it does you'd want one of these:

2LE21B
or
UTA20

Both of these you could get from http://ibanezrules.com/: This is Rich's site, who goes by that name on these forums. Or a local music store in your area might have the 2LE21B. The UTA20 not likely. But looking at the powerocker trem system, the UTA20 wouldn't be a good choice.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I just noticed you said it's not a powerocker. But the 2LE21B is a push-in type arm, so maybe it would still work. Here's another link that might be of use: http://www.thedestroyerguy.com/Misc/TremoloUnits.html

Last edited by mjstack; 09-19-2015 at 07:32 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks mjstack! I appreciate the help.

I currently have an RG with an Edge 3 which has a 5.5mm width arm (according to the Ibanez store page). I tried that arm as a test, and it was too large for the Destroyer's trem. I had looked at the 2LE21B previously as I had heard others mentioning it working with 80's era tremolo systems, but that arm is 6mm so I would assume it would have the same problem.

Looking at the thread you linked, that's a bit different than the one I have. I wish I could post a picture or link, but if you google image search "fender stratocaster" and look at the second picture (it's a black strat from grabcad.com), that's exactly the same style as mine. It's chrome, and the saddles have an S-shape profile from the side. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful with my description!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:48 PM

I wonder if the original owner at some point decided to change the tremolo system? Look for any identifying marks anywhere on the tremolo, including parts hidden by the guitar body.

I looked at that Solidworks rendering of the Fender Strat, but it beats me. I can't tell much from that.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 PM

Here's another idea. You might be able to replace the entire arm holder/arm assembly with something like this: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...loyd_Rose.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I've seen pictures of other DT-155 models with the same system so I think it is the original one, but I can finally post pictures so here it is on my axe!

If I had the right tools to measure the size of the hole, I could use that to narrow down my search. I don't really care about getting the exact same arm as the original, although that would be nice, but I just need something functional. Anyone familiar with this tremolo?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 03:12 PM

Not familiar with this kind of tremolo at all. Hopefully someone else knows more.

It doesn't look like a balanced/floating system, and it looks like it can only decrease pitch. Are you able to get at the arm holder from the back of the guitar?

Take a look at the link posted above (post 5) for a possible solution.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again, mjstack! No, unfortunately I cannot get at the arm from the back. It doesn't even appear to have a tension adjustment for the arm:

Not sure how I would be able to rig the arm from Stewmac to this system, but that definitely looks like a cool solution!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 04:39 PM

It looks as if the arm holder is the block itself, so yea, you're right, that Stewmac part wouldn't work.

It looks very similar to one of these: http://www.allparts.uk.com/products/...string-spacing
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Not sure how I didn't realize I had a ruler with metric measurements on it, but I measured the hole and it's a smidge over 5mm so I'm going to order a 5mm push-in tremolo arm and see how that works out.

Tags
1983 ibanez , destroyer , dt-155 , standard tremolo , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode