Replacement of your trem arm - "tutorial" with pictures - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Replacement of your trem arm - "tutorial" with pictures

Well there's been a good few threads about this recently, as seeing as my parts just arrived I though I would make an overall thread to hopefully answer everyones questions. Below are instructions on how to replace the trem arm holder on any of the ibanez trems (edge, lo pro and the newer ones) with a schaller screw-in holder to improve the overall function of the trem (trust me, its a massive difference for the better)

Step 1 - Take the trem arm out of the guitar you wish to mod, and remove the trem cavity cover plate.

Step 2 - look into the trem cavity from the back, and you will see a cylindrical object which the trem arm pushes into, this will have a small screw on the back (please look to later photo). Carefully remove this screw, allowing the small wire "spring" to come off, store both items in a safe place.

Step 3 - Threaded onto this cylindrical object from the rear will be a nut, this must now be removed. A socket set or set of needle nose plyers will do the trick - be careful though.

Step 4 - Turn the guitar over so you can see the front of the arm holder, you will notice a slot on either side of the hole into which the arm is normally inserted. Get a large flat blade screwdriver which spans the hole, and fits into the slots and unscrew the holder from the main trem unit. You will now have a threaded hole in the trem, like in the picture below.

Right, now for the new bits. I got my trem arm and holder from touchstone tonewoods for about 10, below is a picture of the holder. (sorry about the aweful picture)

Step 5 - Remove the allen bolt from the bottom allowing the main body of the holder to be removed from the actual screw-on section (this will become very obvious if you do the mod yourself, and have the bits infront of you)

Step 6 - insert the correct section of the holder from the front of the block, and add the allen bolt and the other section from the back, compensating for screw length using small washers, if required. Tighten the allen bolt carefully and your done.

Your trem will now look like the one below (allthough probably cleaner ), and will feel more solid and provide more flutter that before.

Hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 05:19 PM

Re: Replacement of your trem arm - "tutorial" with pictures

Thanks! Hope my arm arrives tomorrow...
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:29 AM

Awesome tutorial! I've been preaching to everyone about this modification. I've been doing it for years. It the single best mod you can do...unless you like the push-in bar.
I tried posting pictures, but I kept getting a message that the files were too large. I must've done something wrong because they weren't very large at all. Maybe I'll figure it out someday...
Thanks again, I know there are quite a few people that will appreciate it.

John
post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 12:31 PM

Excellent. You beat me to it! Still waiting for mine (coming from Stew Mac) Can't wait to use it.
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 02:12 PM

Too bad.......mine didn't arrive yet. I want it I want it! Grrrr
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:35 PM

I was watching my G3 DVDs today. How the heck to Steve Vai and Joe Satriani put up with those Ibanez push-in bars?????? Or do they have something different than the stock Ibanez one that we're all replacing?
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Actually, when taken care of (and the fact that Steve and Joe have access to about a billion bushings, and techs to take care of them) these bars work just fine and I'd rather have these than the screw on/in type on other guitars.

It's all how you deal with them, and what your preferances are . . .

Mic
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 08:38 PM

Well mine arrived and it doesn't fit in the hole. I think a tiny bit of filing is needed.

Edit: a little filing and its fine...I do need to custom bend the bar as the edge's have that angle on the surface.

Last edited by Leary; 02-21-2005 at 09:05 PM.
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:14 PM

I like where the angle ended up on my edges. It's a bit closer to the body that the push-in bar, but I like it that way. Careful not to break the bar Leary.
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:22 PM

Yea, I'm a little worried about that. Anyone bent the bar before?
post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:29 AM

After playing a couple hours, I'm not going to bend the bar. It is nice close to the body.
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 03:30 AM

cool leary. hey, i was in guitar center looking at some ibanez model with the new edge. i think it was a lower end model. it's different now. that bushing is gone. i wonder if they're better. if not, i don't think you can swap the arm anymore.
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 04:32 AM

Fantastic info! I have wondered for years why we have to put up with an inferiour design but now I can have the bar that I want that stays where I want!

Can't wait to upgrade all my JEMS, wang city here I come!

Many thanks
post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:39 AM

I just got my new arm together with the backstop in the mail today. Gonna put it one right now.
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:58 AM

Can't get it out with a screwdriver.....dammit.....any tricks? It's already deformed on top...

Tags
arm holder , cavity cover , edge pros , edge trem , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez backstop , ibanez trem , joe satriani , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , steve vai , trem arm , trem arm holder , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode