Replacing Edge/LoPro Edge with a ZR tremolo? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Replacing Edge/LoPro Edge with a ZR tremolo?

I just won a ZR tremolo ($50) and I decided to replace my lo pro edge on my RG550-560.
I know some modifications are needed

- Bigger trem post hole
- Routing for ZPS

has anyone attempted this or have any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Re: Replacing Edge/LoPro Edge with a ZR tremolo?

My advice is to get an S to take measurements from. The ZR system isn't the easiest to install, even compared to standard floyds.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
My advice is to get an S to take measurements from. The ZR system isn't the easiest to install, even compared to standard floyds.
I working on getting the specs on the cavities.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 AM

I'm wondering why you would want to replace THE #1 trem with THE #2 trem available....? Don't get me wrong, I like ZR's ...at least the newer ones but I wouldn't get rid of an edge pro/lo-pro for one. Especially if you're replacing a lo-pro.....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
I'm wondering why you would want to replace THE #1 trem with THE #2 trem available....? Don't get me wrong, I like ZR's ...at least the newer ones but I wouldn't get rid of an edge pro/lo-pro for one. Especially if you're replacing a lo-pro.....
I like the lo pro, I do, but I want a ZR as it felt better to me.

I have another guitar with a lo pro and a edge anyway.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
Thats only your preference. There are guys out there who have differing opinions on the issue, believe it or not. Personally, the ZR is my absolute favourite trem, including the original edge (And I own both. The ZR returns to better pitch even without the ZPS, incidentally)

If I were to spec out my ideal trem system from top to bottom it would be essentially a ZR with modifications. THey have a lot going for them, and unless you've spent time with all the various trems, I'd be very hesitant to start making claims like '#1 trem'

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Roots Manuva - Join The Dots
via FoxyTunes
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Hub

+1

I've been trying to destroy a ZR trem for more than 2.5 years now, never had to do a thing to it. Only tune when changing strings, never touch the fine tuners in between!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabu2k1 View Post
I like the lo pro, I do, but I want a ZR as it felt better to me.

I have another guitar with a lo pro and a edge anyway.
Hi, do you wanna sell the lo-pro edge? What color is it? It's the original low-pro edge that you´re referring to, right?

P.M me or e-mail me if you're interested: [email protected]
Regards,
Nelson
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM

installing the ZR in place of any Edge is going to be a lot of work. Once you start routing, there will be no going back. You also will need to dowel the stud holes and drill new ones as the stud spacing is not the same. The best way to approach will be(as said) to get an S type with the ZR installed(or an empty body) so you can measure and create routing templates. I started all that and just decided it was too much(although I would love to try a ZR on an RG). If you do go ahead with this, move slow, and be careful.

Tags
zr tremolo conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode