Replacing edge zero with edge zero II? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Replacing edge zero with edge zero II?

Hi, I couldn't find this anywhere and just wanted to make sure. Are edge zero and edge zero 2 interchangeable? Is the edge zero II somehow better/worse in quality than the original? I need to replace the original and II is cheaper and easier to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

Re: Replacing edge zero with edge zero II?

The EZ-II is softer metal. What's the problem with your EZ?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
The EZ-II is softer metal. What's the problem with your EZ?
Some of the holes for the intonation screws are stripped (probably because of overtightening) so it's impossible to get the intonation correct. A helicoil fix or something might also be possible but if I can find a cheap baseplate I could just go with that.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 AM
Banned

I have done V-coil fix in two of my floyds and it went very easily. The result was much stronger than the initial stock threads. I bought the kit for some 30 euros.
I don't know anything about interchangeability between edge zero and edge zero II regarding plates, there is no info on the internet. There are some sellers from Indonesia on ebay selling edge zero II trems, plates, etc.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:38 AM

Doesn't Rich sell EZ parts? I totally forgot if Ibanez even makes replacement parts for EZ, but I'd check ibanezrules.com just to be sure.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Banned

Ibanez does not sell trem base plates.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Ibanez does not sell trem base plates.
Ah lame. Didn't know that
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

A replacement part from Rich would indeed have been the easiest solution. Buying the complete tremolo system is too much for my budget, but as Panix mentioned there are sellers on ebay with the EZ2 without the ZPS and even just baseplates for some Ibanez tremolos, I would just have to know if EZ2 and the original EZ are interchangeable. Or do a helicoil fix.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Vendor

I don't know if the baseplate will work or not, the saddles are very different, it might, might not.

Ibanez will not sell baseplates. All those parts for sale on ebay from Indonesia fell off the truck, or snuck out the backdoor.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansio View Post
Or do a helicoil fix.
V-coil M3 is what you need. Do some tests/self training first on some metal plate, or some old cheap floyd, and then go and do the job. Or give it to some machine shop to do it for you. In any case you will end up with a repaired plate better than new, for a fraction of the cost of any bridge.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't know if the baseplate will work or not, the saddles are very different, it might, might not.
Just in case I manage to screw up the trem completely, does the whole EZ2 unit fit in the place of the original or is there a difference in the knife spacing or something?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
V-coil M3 is what you need. Do some tests/self training first on some metal plate, or some old cheap floyd, and then go and do the job. Or give it to some machine shop to do it for you. In any case you will end up with a repaired plate better than new, for a fraction of the cost of any bridge.
Thanks, I'll begin to look for the kit.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:46 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansio View Post
Just in case I manage to screw up the trem completely, does the whole EZ2 unit fit in the place of the original or is there a difference in the knife spacing or something?
I don't know anybody that tried to put the lower quality trem in place of the higher, so while I think it'll work I don't know for sure.

Helicoil [v-coil is a Euro rip off of the original but looks just fine] or time-sert which I'll be ordering to try next time I need to make a repair. The wound coils can be a real pain to work with.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't know anybody that tried to put the lower quality trem in place of the higher, so while I think it'll work I don't know for sure.

Helicoil [v-coil is a Euro rip off of the original but looks just fine] or time-sert which I'll be ordering to try next time I need to make a repair. The wound coils can be a real pain to work with.
Alright, but lots of people surely have tried the reverse, going from EZII -> EZ. That would be the same thing for the knife spacing, etc...
About helicoil, the trick is to force your hand 90 deg perpendicular while tapping, give it some clock-wise turns and then reverse, move little by little. A T-handle is a must. Some people also use special tapping oil, I put some oil I use for my hair-cutting machine.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:08 AM
Vendor

I put in 20-30 helicoils, like I said, I'll be trying time-sert next.

Tags
edge zero , replacement , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode