Replacing Edge Zero ii with Edge Zero - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Banned

Re: Replacing Edge Zero ii with Edge Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelancon1432 View Post
I also thought it was a fret or nut problem, but after many adjustments and then bringing a couple times to a professional luthier, we were able to stop it by polishing up the saddle and reseating the string. But it came back after a few days of use. So my thought is its just an imperfection in the saddle. I was thinking of replacing the whole bridge as I was having trouble finding single saddles on ebay. And if I was going to replace to whole thing, why not get the Zero. However, found single saddles and we'll see how it works out.
http://shop.ibanez.com/p/2trx5bd002-...dle-unit-black has it
http://www.ibanezrules.com/parts.htm has it

many other net shops have it, why should it be on ebay exclusively ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelancon1432 View Post
but I like building, modifying and tweaking guitars.
In this case I think that you would love trying to fix the existing saddle. I remember losing hours after hours , months after months in order to solve the problem with the sitar sounding Carvin I have. It killed *all* natural harmonics on G, a deal breaker. I replaced the Schaller nut with a Gotoh one I ordered from Japan... After some month(s) of waiting and anticipation, finally I was happy with the tone on open G... only to find out that now B, low E,A, and D sitared even more than the old Schaller G!! Instead of buying nuts to eternity, I fixed the problem my way, I cried for the lost 40 euros and took my lesson. Same with some floyd rose 2 and its stripped saddle threads... Instead of ordering a 200 euro new OFR or Schaller or Gotoh, I just v-coil'd the 3 stripped threads with just the cost of the v-coil kit. In most of cases the solution is a few simple steps away. Why do people (me among them) waste hours browsing for "upgrades", i don't know, maybe it is shopping therapy.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Interesting... I've been having a similar issue with an EZII. Gave me fits when adjsuting the neck, as I thought it was coming from the frets. Just affects the high E though
Same problem here until I sold my RG Premium a few years ago.

I believe it has to do with the locking nut, not the saddle.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Try removing the pads from the locking nut to see if it continues.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Try removing the pads from the locking nut to see if it continues.
I tried removing the locking nut pads and it made no difference. So I capo'd it at the 12th fret, where the buzz is very prominent, and was then able to hunt down the culprit. Just like in rmelancon1432 case, it is the saddle causing it. With a free hand I was able to try dampening the springs, the pickup springs, etc... but as soon as I lightly pressed on the high E saddle it went away completely. Tightening the hardware on the high E bridge parts made no difference. Hmmm...

Edit - Loosened the string, checked out the saddle... it the only one with the paint worn off where the string goes over it. Polished that spot a little and restrung it, making sure the little block that holds the string was all the way down in the slot and the string was right in the middle. The noise is not near as bad now, but you can barely hear it. In the process I noticed that the string had fret marks up all down it, and when I pinched the string in my fingers ran them up and down it I could feel it was "bent" at the 12th fret. Maybe this was responsible for some of it? I think I got the guitar in Oct/Nov and put an XL 10-46 set on it, but I guess I need to put new strings on it again. Jeez, I used to get a lot more life out of strings when I didn't play as much! I remember my dad having a bent string that had him chasing a "buzz" several years ago.

Last edited by FireEagle; 01-23-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add info
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Rich at IbanezRules should have the single saddles sometime next week so I'm going to replace the single saddle.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 02:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Edit - Loosened the string, checked out the saddle... it the only one with the paint worn off where the string goes over it. Polished that spot a little and restrung it, making sure the little block that holds the string was all the way down in the slot and the string was right in the middle. The noise is not near as bad now, but you can barely hear it.
A little bit of this one (a tiny amount) covering the whole groove :

after carefully lightly sanding and cleaning the groove and then lightly filing with some thin round file (or e.g. a spare D string used as a file) should give you many years of decent tone.

use on spare scratch materials first as a test. (e.g. if you have any $20 chinese floyd laying around, etc...)
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 03:12 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I tried removing the locking nut pads and it made no difference. So I capo'd it at the 12th fret, where the buzz is very prominent, and was then able to hunt down the culprit. Just like in rmelancon1432 case, it is the saddle causing it. With a free hand I was able to try dampening the springs, the pickup springs, etc... but as soon as I lightly pressed on the high E saddle it went away completely. Tightening the hardware on the high E bridge parts made no difference. Hmmm...

Edit - Loosened the string, checked out the saddle... it the only one with the paint worn off where the string goes over it. Polished that spot a little and restrung it, making sure the little block that holds the string was all the way down in the slot and the string was right in the middle. The noise is not near as bad now, but you can barely hear it. In the process I noticed that the string had fret marks up all down it, and when I pinched the string in my fingers ran them up and down it I could feel it was "bent" at the 12th fret. Maybe this was responsible for some of it? I think I got the guitar in Oct/Nov and put an XL 10-46 set on it, but I guess I need to put new strings on it again. Jeez, I used to get a lot more life out of strings when I didn't play as much! I remember my dad having a bent string that had him chasing a "buzz" several years ago.
For fun and education, you should swap the high E saddle with one of the others to see if the ring follows it.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 05:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
For fun and education, you should swap the high E saddle with one of the others to see if the ring follows it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
So, what you gotta do to isolate the problem on this saddle is to just swap the said saddle with any of the other saddles. Does the problem persist on the other string where the suspect saddle is ?

seems like great spirits meet here
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
A little bit of this one (a tiny amount) covering the whole groove :

after carefully lightly sanding and cleaning the groove and then lightly filing with some thin round file (or e.g. a spare D string used as a file) should give you many years of decent tone.

use on spare scratch materials first as a test. (e.g. if you have any $20 chinese floyd laying around, etc...)
Thanks for the idea... I don't want to wimp out on this or anything, but the high E string on mine is good to go now. I'm semi-adventurous... but I will hold off doing anything while it is playing well and there are no odd noises. I'm sure the crimped string probably had a lot to do with the noise too. If it comes back I will know what the next step is! I don't mind wrenching, but this RG3XXV is my main player at the moment... and I have been playing it a lot.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, the EZ is a direct drop in replacement for the EZII.
Hi All,

i hope this statement worth my research till this day.
awesome.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 11:27 AM

I was just lighting up my cuban with a $100 bill when I realized that I really like my S-series guitar even with the Edge Zero II bridge but I'd still prefer having the Edge Zero with the intonation tool on it.

Is it something that I should have a luthier to do for me or could I possibly have fun replacing it myself? Usually I like using my own hands to have fun.

Thanks for any help on this one!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 03:11 AM

With minimal guitar knowlidge and tuner you can do it by yourself.
peromucho7 is online  

Tags
edge zero replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode