Replacing Edge Zero ii with Edge Zero - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Replacing Edge Zero ii with Edge Zero

Having some problems with the saddles on an Edge Zero ii (premium gtr) and was looking to just buy some replacement saddles and noticed the Edge Zero (from prestige line) looks nearly identical with the exception of the intonation tool. Which would be really nice to have. So I'm wondering if the Edge Zero bridge can be dropped in place of an Edge Zero ii without any routing etc.

I tried searching through the forum and there are a lot on replacing trems, but not this combination.

Thanks,
Robb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Banned

Re: Replacing Edge Zero ii with Edge Zero

What problems did you have? Most if not all problems with the Edge Zero ii are solvable.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I've had it twice to a professional luthier. One of the saddles is probably worn or just faulty and causes a sitar type sound when played. Like I said, was just going to replace the saddle but saw the zero (original?) with the intonation tool and thought that would be really handy to have. They aren't that expensive either, and hard to find single saddles, so probably buying the whole bridge anyway.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

Most cases with sitar sound are because of the nut rather than the saddles. Did you have the sitar sound on *every* open and fretted note on the said string?

Last edited by panix; 01-20-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

It was temporarily fixed by cleaning up the saddle, but after a few days playing it is coming back. Starts on the higher frets and gets worse the more I play. I just want to know if the zero can replace the zero ii, they look near identical but want to be sure. Suppose I could just buy it and sell it on ebay if it isn't the same dimensions.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:00 AM
Banned

to be frank, i never heard of sitar problem due to the saddle before. You could try to :
- fill sligtly the hole with strong metal epoxy glue (permatex cold weld or smth equivalent), then file it with some round file matching the original groove
- "coat" with thin paper and super glue, let the string form its own optimum groove

Replacling the saddle should be your last option, and you really need NOT replace the whole bridge, unless you have money to waste and willing to deal with routings, removing wood, and the possible chance the new bridge to have new problems, everytime i had a sitar problem with my guitars (with the nut), and i chose to replace it (nut), almost in every single case the next part had the same problem somewhere else, and I've seen it with gotoh, schaller, etc...

I'd say stick with your hardware and make it right by fixing it.

Last edited by panix; 01-23-2015 at 12:10 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelancon1432 View Post
Having some problems with the saddles on an Edge Zero ii (premium gtr) and was looking to just buy some replacement saddles and noticed the Edge Zero (from prestige line) looks nearly identical with the exception of the intonation tool. Which would be really nice to have. So I'm wondering if the Edge Zero bridge can be dropped in place of an Edge Zero ii without any routing etc.

I tried searching through the forum and there are a lot on replacing trems, but not this combination.

Thanks,
Robb
Yes, the EZ is a direct drop in replacement for the EZII.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Yes, the EZ is a direct drop in replacement for the EZII.
Awesome. Thanks for answering my original question.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelancon1432 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for answering my original question.
What if the new bridge has problems? Are you gonna replace the guitar this time?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Interesting... I've been having a similar issue with an EZII. Gave me fits when adjsuting the neck, as I thought it was coming from the frets. Just affects the high E though, no other strings. So you think the problem might be the high E slot in the nut is too big? Fill it and re-groove it to .010, since I use 10's?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Interesting... I've been having a similar issue with an EZII. Gave me fits when adjsuting the neck, as I thought it was coming from the frets. Just affects the high E though, no other strings. So you think the problem might be the high E slot in the nut is too big? Fill it and re-groove it to .010, since I use 10's?
so you the the sitar effect on "open" E only?
If yes, is the effect present at downstroke picking? upstroke picking ? when picking near to the bridge? over the mid ? or near the neck?

might be that the groove is too big. You might attempt a less intrusive solution with ordinary printer paper and super glue like here :

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thr...scrollTo=74843
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
so you the the sitar effect on "open" E only?
If yes, is the effect present at downstroke picking? upstroke picking ? when picking near to the bridge? over the mid ? or near the neck?

might be that the groove is too big. You might attempt a less intrusive solution with ordinary printer paper and super glue like here :

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thr...scrollTo=74843
Its all over the string, mostly noticeable from about the 10th to 24th fret... but if you listen real closely you can hear it on the open high E all the way down the neck. I kept adjusting my truss rod and trem height and could not get it to go away... until I realized it even did it on the 24th fret. Strange... because it sounds like very light fret buzz (high pitched ringing) and kills the sustain. My thinking is that it MUST be on the trem end of the string... but my logical mind is often wrong...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
What if the new bridge has problems? Are you gonna replace the guitar this time?
Sarcasm noted. And yes I am about to scrap it and buy a J Custom, but I like building, modifying and tweaking guitars.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Its all over the string, mostly noticeable from about the 10th to 24th fret... but if you listen real closely you can hear it on the open high E all the way down the neck. I kept adjusting my truss rod and trem height and could not get it to go away... until I realized it even did it on the 24th fret. Strange... because it sounds like very light fret buzz (high pitched ringing) and kills the sustain. My thinking is that it MUST be on the trem end of the string... but my logical mind is often wrong...
I also thought it was a fret or nut problem, but after many adjustments and then bringing a couple times to a professional luthier, we were able to stop it by polishing up the saddle and reseating the string. But it came back after a few days of use. So my thought is its just an imperfection in the saddle. I was thinking of replacing the whole bridge as I was having trouble finding single saddles on ebay. And if I was going to replace to whole thing, why not get the Zero. However, found single saddles and we'll see how it works out.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Edge Zero II has one size saddles, cause the radius is achieved by stepping on the plate itself. So, what you gotta do to isolate the problem on this saddle is to just swap the said saddle with any of the other saddles. Does the problem persist on the other string where the suspect saddle is ? If yes, then you can apply the same technique on this saddle as for the nut. Go for a temp fix and if this proves good, then we'll discuss for something more permanent.

Tags
edge zero replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode