Replacing floyd rose - Corrosion S540 LTD - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Replacing floyd rose - Corrosion S540 LTD

Hi,

I have an 1990 S5450 LTD and common to these old guitars is the bridge/trem is often corroding and losing its color. Wondering if there was a fix for this corrosion, if not, what would be a suitable replacement for this trem?

I am not sure what model it is and would be happy to get some recommendations.

thank you,
K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:59 PM

Re: Replacing floyd rose - Corrosion S540 LTD

That is the Lo-Pro Edge. You should be able to find a replacement from Rich (IbanezRules) or eBay. Only way to avoid wear is to not touch the tremolo. It will happen over time, also if you replace it with a mint tremolo. Call it patina and rock on!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Vendor

New trems do not have the "Licensed" line in the mold since the patents have run out. If you want to keep originality you'd need to buy a used trem.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Ic... thanks! I did a quick search for lo pro edge and the original ones are not cheap! Doesn't matter if it has license on it or not. Are there upgrade options that would also fit in this guitar? Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:16 PM

You're gonna want that OEM bridge - it's a wonderful unit. Go see Rich - or price out having it bead blasted and powdercoated. Strange paint defects around your routes and pickup rings/switch bezel. Was this resprayed? Can you upload more shots? It's making me want to cry a little. I love DSY.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bolton View Post
You're gonna want that OEM bridge - it's a wonderful unit. Go see Rich - or price out having it bead blasted and powdercoated. Strange paint defects around your routes and pickup rings/switch bezel. Was this resprayed? Can you upload more shots? It's making me want to cry a little. I love DSY.
Haha not it hasn't been resprayed.. its not originally DSY. You are looking at plastidip. Thought I give it a shot, but it didn't turn out well.

The guitar is originally blue... going to really spray it.. may use something similar to DSY.. with a metallic base coat. I may keep the hardware as it is.. if it's too expensive or too much trouble to fix it. Its still functional...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode