Replacing LFR locking nut / string spacing / height / general worries - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Replacing LFR locking nut / string spacing / height / general worries

Hello all!

I've always gotten really good advice here, so I was hoping you all could help me with a conundrum I've been struggling with for the past few days. I have a guitar that the previous owner seems to have clamped down way too hard on the nut, and left a dent (more like a slice) all along the G string where it rests on the nut. I've been playing it with a tiny piece of paper under the string in the V of the nut. I want to replace the nut with one that hopefully fits perfectly.

The guitar is a Fernandes LA-85KK from around '96 or so. It's a signature model of Ken from the Japanese band L'Arc~en~Ciel, if any of you have ever heard of them. It was sold exclusively in Japan, and I assume made there as well. It's also known as the LA-115KK, because they based the model number on the price in yen, so when the price went up, the model number changed as well (strange, I know).

Here's a pic of the nut in question:

and here's the guitar if anyone is curious:

(except mine is nearly mint and has the right bar on it!)

The trem is a Fernandes FRT 5Pro-TRS, manufactured by Takeuchi. It has a screw-in bar with a tapered tip (it's 6mm, like the Allparts bar, but the Allparts bar won't fit in it) and a flat head tension screw on the bottom of the block (beats those expensive nylon washers! ).

I've measured with a digital caliper, and the best I can tell is that the nut is about 42.2mm, which is freaky to me, because all the nuts I've found are 42.9/42.85 or 41 something. I measured the string spacing, but I think I did it wrong, because I was measuring at/in front of the nut (got a couple light scratches on my fingerboard from the sharp tips of the caliper too, arrrrgh!). The string spacing there was around 36mm, so I thought I should be looking at an R4 nut, but now I think I was supposed to be measuring down by the saddles. Is that correct? My fingerboard wishes I had known that sooner.

I should mention that it's a front mounting nut, even though that should be obvious from the pic.

Here's the spec sheet I can find for the guitar:

I'm looking to get a nice gold Gotoh or Schaller nut to replace it with. I'm also worried about the nut height, because I've heard that there can be some differences in nut heights between OFR and LFR nuts. I've had zero luck googling "Fernandes nut replacement", but I know Takeuchi made trems for lots of folks, including Jackson. I don't believe there are any shims under the current nut. I actually slid a piece of business card under the nut when I was trying to fix the buzzing G issue, and I didn't notice anything in there.

Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding re-measuring, and hopefully give me some encouraging advice?

I'm really trying to order one today so I can have it fixed by the middle of next week, and I'm really worried about ordering the wrong part. I don't have a car so taking it to a guitar shop would be difficult.

Thanks awesome peeps! (Oh and just so you don't throw me out, my other guitar is a Chromeboy. )

Bill

Last edited by Billkwando; 12-17-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Re: Replacing LFR locking nut / string spacing / height / general worries

Alright, since nobody has any ideas yet, I'll post what I have so far in the interests of those folks out there putting their faith in the Oracle of Google to solve the same or a similar problem (I've found a bunch of unanswered threads on the net on similar topics, or worse, ones with 2 posts.....one asking the question and one with some idiot hijacking the thread with some totally unrelated question).

In my research I've found another, likely Asian, nut sizing standard. I've seen a couple posts where peeps are talking about R42 nuts (R42 2, R42 3, etc). I'm assuming (pretty solidly) that the first number refers to the width (42mm), but I'm not sure what 2nd number means. I don't know if it references string spacing or a decimal (after all, my nut is 42.3 mm, it turns out).

Here's one I found on ebay:

Armed with this knowledge, I figured I should probably take the nut off of my guitar and see if it had a number on the bottom. It didn't, alas, but it did allow me to get some really good measurements with my digital caliper (allowing for some variance since it only cost $16!)

Here are the measurements I have so far. I may have made a mistake by measuring from the top flat part of the nut instead of inside the V string grooves, but oh wells.

Height (high side): 8mm
Height (low side): 5.3mm
Width: 42.3mm
Depth: 15.3mm
Distance between screw holes 11mm
(from the inside edge of the holes)

Here are some other pics I took, for reference:

I went ahead and ordered the Mighty Mite one I found (Item #PL001G, according to the description). Dunno if it will fit. I also found another one that might work here:
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/g...utslocking.htm
with the description:
Quote:
GOLD 42mm
ECONOMY LOCKING
GUITAR NUT
LN42-G
Gold finish 42mm locking guitar nut. Base measures 1-5/8"(42mm) x 5/8"(15.5mm). String spacing is 1-3/8"(35mm). Includes mounting screws. OEM style used on many import guitars.
I got the Mighty Mite because it's steel, and the OEM cheapy doesn't say what it's made out of....but if the MM doesn't fit I will likely just order one of these, and get a spare if it fits.

I'm also pretty sure that I was wrong about being wrong and that I SHOULD be measuring the string spacing from the nut (which incidentally I forgot to do when I took the other measurements, but I know it's either 35.5 or 35.6mm) cos when I tried doing it from the saddle side the measurements were coming out wayyyy too wide.

If any of this info paints a clearer picture, I would love to hear your thoughts, and if not...at least this info is out there for the next person with the same problem.

I'll update the thread if I have any additional info, or once I get the nut.

Last edited by Billkwando; 12-18-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Tags
fernandes , gotoh , lfr , locking nut , ofr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode