replacing saddle on UV trem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

replacing saddle on UV trem

I bought a pretty beaten-up black Universe at a auction a while ago, and one of the things that was wrong with it was that the high-E string's saddle on the Edge trem had broken or seized up, so the previous owner had it replaced. Though the replacement works OK, it is a standard chrome saddle instead of the Cosmo Black.

I've gotten the neck and body of the guitar repaired, and now the only thing that's bothering me is the one "silver tooth." Is that something that you guys would even bother getting replaced? I don't know how to do that kind of work myself, so I'd be paying a shop to do it.

I own a couple of other, nicer UVs and Jems; I bought this guitar for cheap knowing that it was banged up, so I'd have a guitar I wouldn't be afraid to gig hard. But for some reason I've put almost as much money in the neck and body work as I paid for the thing. So does it make sense to get that saddle fixed just for the cosmetics, or should I leave it be?

Thanks for any opinions. And anyone have a ballpark huess offhand how much the replacement part and work would cost if I decided to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 02:43 AM

I don't know what you mean by "work". Replacing a saddle is totally something you would do yourself. If it's strictly a gig guitar, that you aren't worried about abusing I'd probably just leave it, and maybe before gigs darken it with a Sharpie pen or something.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 03:01 AM

Saddles are inexpensive parts, and replacing them is a cinch. You don't even need to do a string change. Just pull the trem, release that particular saddle's string, loosen the intonation screw (remembering exactly where the saddle is positioned), pull the saddle out...then put the new one in and you're good to go.

As CrossingStar said, this is a 100% DIY job.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory
Saddles are inexpensive parts, and replacing them is a cinch. You don't even need to do a string change. Just pull the trem, release that particular saddle's string, loosen the intonation screw (remembering exactly where the saddle is positioned), pull the saddle out...then put the new one in and you're good to go.

As CrossingStar said, this is a 100% DIY job.

OR.....rub on the cosmo black saddles really hard until they all turn chrome ...hehe... ok all kidding aside yeah i agree that saddle change is definitly something you can do yourself. One thing though. When you're loosening the intonation screws make sure you use a wrench that matches teh screw PERFECTLY. I've made the mistake of useing an 'almost matching' wrench and by the time i was done, the screws were stripped. So just becareful of that. I rebuild the trem once in a while to ensure all teh parts are clean. Of course I never made that same mistake again. I know it was stupid but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it...hope it helps!

-Bo

Tags
edge trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode