Replacing TRS trem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Replacing TRS trem

I am thinking of replacing the TRS trem in my S370 and have run across a good deal on a Floyd Rose 2 (FR2) (about half the price of an Original Floyd Rose (OFR) )but I am wondering if it will fit and if it will really be much of an improvement.

Will it fit? According to jemsite the OFR will fit into my guitar without requiring any modifications and I have read that the FR2 is identical to the OFR in dimensions. So I assume the FR2 will also work as a direct replacement. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

The other thing I am wondering about is will it really be much of an upgrade? I have seen where some have compared the the TRS to the FR2. If there isn't going to be much difference I'll wait a little longer and buy a OFR or Floyd Rose Pro.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:07 PM

on personal experience the FR2 is better than the TRS, but not that much. i'd wait a bit and buy an OFR.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I have another question? Are there any "Licensed By" models that you would consider an upgrade from the TRS? I'm still probably going to go with one of the FR models, but I thought I would ask.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallartist
I have another question? Are there any "Licensed By" models that you would consider an upgrade from the TRS? I'm still probably going to go with one of the FR models, but I thought I would ask.
Yeah, an Edge! But that usually needs routing. I like the OFR a lot, and some Schallers are very close, but I don't know if the current ones are.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
Yeah, an Edge! But that usually needs routing. I like the OFR a lot, and some Schallers are very close, but I don't know if the current ones are.
Yeah, I've heard good things about the edge trems but I will only route as a last resort. So would you pick the OFR over the Pro?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 12:11 AM

I took a 9volt, wrapped sandpaper around it, and sanded away the sides of the fine tuner section of the rout, and as soon as the Edge had room I was done. About 2 hours, no power tools, some black metallic paint, and you can hardly tell it's not a pro job (The black metallic brush on pain blends in with teh dark shadows, you never really see/notice it!

Not nearly as big of a deal as power tools are. I do still need to get access to a drill press so I can finally get the damn Edge posts in there, though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

When I replace the trem should I also replace the locking nut? Are the FR ones better than the ones Ibanez uses?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:36 AM

you can use whatever one.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 12:19 PM

Well the nut material used in the koreans has a habit of smashing and giving since its really soft potmetal I assume. I would replace the nut if I were you just to make it that much more solid. The floyd rose 2 is quite a bit more stable than the original floyd, and is similar in construction to the schaller made floyd used on old jacksons and charvels. Many love this design and it may be in wider use even than the edge. Still the edge trem is absolutely unbeatable. I suggest if you wish to take your guitar to the next level, wait a month or two till you can afford an edge or lo pro, and then really make your baby sing
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Well the nut material used in the koreans has a habit of smashing and giving since its really soft potmetal I assume. I would replace the nut if I were you just to make it that much more solid. The floyd rose 2 is quite a bit more stable than the original floyd, and is similar in construction to the schaller made floyd used on old jacksons and charvels. Many love this design and it may be in wider use even than the edge. Still the edge trem is absolutely unbeatable. I suggest if you wish to take your guitar to the next level, wait a month or two till you can afford an edge or lo pro, and then really make your baby sing
I was of the undestanding that the Floyd Rose II is the cheaper version of the OFR. And that the OFR was superior. The FLoyd Rose Pro is a lo profile version of the OFR. You can get 'em from MF but they sell the long block version, so the sustain block will be too deep for recessed applications.

Oh, and the Edge is at least equal to the OFR, due to the nature of its design it gets the nod over the OFR, but whether the locking posts make a difference or not (I think they do) , it's a tangible improvement over Floyd Rose's design.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:44 AM

basically the locking studs are a tangible improvement, but this doesnt necessarily mean that you cant do without them: one of my best guitars in terms of tuning-stability is an RG270 with an Edge and TRS' posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
basically the locking studs are a tangible improvement, but this doesnt necessarily mean that you cant do without them: one of my best guitars in terms of tuning-stability is an RG270 with an Edge and TRS' posts.
Which is actually what I was tryin to get at, but still, it can't hurt.

I say if given the choice, you should go for Edge studs, even if you have an OFR. If you've got easy access and can spare a few more bucks, why the hell not?

Not sure how the radius of hte edge studs compares to the knife of the OFR's though....
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:24 AM

The floyd rose 2 is a less expensive version of the original floyd but is more similar in design to the edge trem. The floyd rose 2 is a cast system, meaning basically more or less its a poured mold of metal, and the original floyd is milled from metal as in cut from. The floyd rose 2 is beefier in design, but isnt a *budget trem* per se, its just a licensed model that at the time was made to just mimic the schaller. I beleive they were made in the same factory at one point as the schaller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBird31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
I was of the undestanding that the Floyd Rose II is the cheaper version of the OFR. And that the OFR was superior. The FLoyd Rose Pro is a lo profile version of the OFR. You can get 'em from MF but they sell the long block version, so the sustain block will be too deep for recessed applications.

Oh, and the Edge is at least equal to the OFR, due to the nature of its design it gets the nod over the OFR, but whether the locking posts make a difference or not (I think they do) , it's a tangible improvement over Floyd Rose's design.

Tags
edge trem , edge trems , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode