Restoring an edge, how about black zink plating?? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Restoring an edge, how about black zink plating??

Well, I have an old black edge that's pretty bad. I know better to powder coat or paint it.
I did a search on the internet and here about refinishing an edge trem and it seems there is a lot
of speculation but nothing concrete on what to use.
I saw where schaller says they are using black zinc coating on their stuff
http://guitar-tremolo.com/hp316928/Artikel-Liste.htm

"Through more rigorous testing we learned how all burnished surfaces were prone to corrosion. ThatĎs why all studs, inserts and screws of our new Schaller LockMeisterģ Tremolo now feature black-zinc and black-chrome finishes for improved look, touch and durability."

Does anyone know if anyone has had a corroded trem sent to a place that does the black zinc plating?
Here's a place that offers the service,though it doesn't give exact prices(I'm going to call them)....
http://burbankplating.com/plating_types.php

Thoughts/suggestions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Restoring an edge, how about black zink plating??

I got a really ratty looking cosmo Edge Pro, and polished it with auto-sol, and now it looks like a near-new chrome Edge Pro. If you are not fussed about it being black just get some metal polish like the auto-sol, and spend a couple of hours polishing it up with a rag. Comes up great, and its probably cheaper than trying to plate it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 PM

Re: Restoring an edge, how about black zink plating??

I'm not sure about the whole idea of plating or painting or refinishing a bridge to begin with :P In a floating bridge, there are a huge number of small, interlocking, interconnected parts, screwholes, etc. If you jam them up, your bridge won't work properly anymore. just something to consider.

Tags
edge , floyd rose , restoring , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode