Restringing a floyd stringless - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Sho

Restringing a floyd stringless

I know there are other threads about this but the ones I saw aren't fully answered.

I was thinking of blocking the floyd with an old trem cover. Then stringing it. Then do my spring tension ajustments. Would that work you think?

Also is there an easy way to do action with out destringing the floyd and ajusting the knifes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 AM

Re: Restringing a floyd stringless

Blocking first and then strings, then springs/tuning is how I do it and it works for me.

I always reduce string tension when I adjust action (via the trem posts). I don't destring.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Sho

I was reworking the frets, swaping a pickup, and the strings were oxidising so the strings had to come off. Any tips on setting action with out destringing? I know changing the action while there is tension can ruin the knife edges or the posts.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 AM

I would defer to others on the board for the details. What I do is as simple as I described. I'm a bit confused on your statement though. You said the strings had to come off. Are you saying there are new strings on now and you want to change action? My personal experience is reducing tension is enough. You don't have to completely destring.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Sho

I have new strings ready for it. It's completly destringed, the rusted strings even snaped. I'm wondering about setting the action. Is there an easy way of setting it? Rather than destringing it then resetting the posts and repeating. I know setting the action under tension can ruin the knifes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho View Post
I have new strings ready for it. It's completly destringed, the rusted strings even snaped. I'm wondering about setting the action. Is there an easy way of setting it? Rather than destringing it then resetting the posts and repeating. I know setting the action under tension can ruin the knifes.
the knife edges will be fine when adjusted.........even under tension.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Simply pull the springs. Leave the nut locked, and when you put the springs back on you'll be surprised at how close the thing is to tune.

Get yourself a spring puller (the ones made for automotive and motorcycle applications work just as well as the ones that Stew-Mac sells) or a right-angle chisel pick and come in underneath the spring seat into the trem block, and gently pull up. Be careful to do this gently, otherwise you run the risk of sending a spring end into the finish on the back of the guitar.

You can also use needle-nose pliers too, but I think that's probably more of a risk to finish damage.

Set your action, then put the trem back on the posts and re-add the springs. Measure, and lather-rinse-repeat if you didn't get it right the first time.

Rich's tech page on floating trems @ ibanezrules details this pretty well.

For actually putting strings back on where you have spring tension against the block and no strings on the guitar at all, you can perform some variation on using the bar to add some form of tension.

The way I do it on an Original Edge or OFR (kinda hack-ish, but it gets things done) is to trim the string to length (generally I go from the tuning peg, through the nut, to the back of the trem route) and then install the bar. While holding the bar down, I unlock the saddle, and then release the bar (sending the back of the trem against the route). I'll then insert the string into the saddle (against the saddle block) and then hold the bar down to then tighten the saddle lock. Lather, rinse, repeat for the bass (wound) strings.

Once you have all three bass strings on, you should be able to wind 'em up to provide enough tension that you don't need the bar to keep the back of the trem out of the route, so you should be able to add the treble strings without issue. Then, I stretch the strings out and then approximate a tune, and check where I'm at from a trem angle perspective. Adjust trem angle with the cavity claw screws and approximate tuning to get things right, and quickly check intonation.

If it's all fine, then go play.

Hope that helped some.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Sho

I was thinking of this.

Putting chapstick on the knifes and studs.

Put on the strings with out putting the floyd in. So it's easier to clamp the strings down.

Put the springs on, then block the floyd, then string it up. After that get the bridge leveled, stretched, tuned, and all that jazz.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of this.

Putting chapstick on the knifes and studs.

Put on the strings with out putting the floyd in. So it's easier to clamp the strings down.

Put the springs on, then block the floyd, then string it up. After that get the bridge leveled, stretched, tuned, and all that jazz.
Not sure I quite follow that sequence. You put strings on in step 2, and you would block the floyd (e.g. wood between the trem block and the guitar body) only by pulling the springs out anyway.

The way I read your original post was that you were confused about what to do with a trem that had spring tension but no string tension, right?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Sho

I was thinking of putting the spring tension in first and blocking it. So I don't have to reef on the springs. If I have the trem blocked it would be a pain to secure the strings seeing as the bolts are leaning against the blocking piece I'm using.

I'll try to make it a bit more clear.

The trem is out of the guitar. I screw in the strings. I'd do this because it maybe hard to screw them in when the bolts are against the block.

Put the trem into the guitar. Put the springs onto the trem. Block off the trem so it doesn't go into the body.

Put the strings into the tunning pegs. Tighten them evenly as possibe.

Take it to tune. Balance the trem. Stretch the strings.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
I was thinking of putting the spring tension in first and blocking it. So I don't have to reef on the springs. If I have the trem blocked it would be a pain to secure the strings seeing as the bolts are leaning against the blocking piece I'm using.

I'll try to make it a bit more clear.

The trem is out of the guitar. I screw in the strings. I'd do this because it maybe hard to screw them in when the bolts are against the block.

Put the trem into the guitar. Put the springs onto the trem. Block off the trem so it doesn't go into the body.

Put the strings into the tunning pegs. Tighten them evenly as possibe.

Take it to tune. Balance the trem. Stretch the strings.
If you flip the "put springs onto the trem" and "block off the trem" steps, then yes, your sequence of events works. If your trem is blocked you probably won't have an issue accessing the saddle locks (may vary based on trem design),

I think the only real downside is that you'd have a bunch of long strings locked into your trem at once, which would be awkward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode