Rewiring a guitar - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Rewiring a guitar

I recently got a new guitar, and I was wondering how hard would it be; for someone like me who has never ever done something like that; to replace the pickups, change the volume pots to push/pull pots, switch the volume knobs to the pickups (i.e., I have a les paul copy and the volume knob on the bottom controls the bridge pickup and the volume knob on top controls the neck pickup, I want to swap those but keep the selector switch the same), and I think that's it.

I figured I'd need a soldering gun, solder, a voltmeter, and a wire stripper/cutter.

I'm thinking I need a plan of attack so I won't get overwhelmed and won't get in the way of myself.

So what are ya'lls opinions? I really want to learn to do this stuff, maybe I should buy a book on it? I was thinking I could stumble around and 'get it'.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 AM

Re: Rewiring a guitar

I just recently had my first pickup change experience. It wasn't too bad. I wish I had bought one of those magnifying glasses with the alligator clip arms that hold wires in place for you. Basically, I had to teach myself how to solder. I read a few FAQs online about soldering, etc. and practiced a bit on some wires. I didn't get a good ground connection to the volume pot the first time and only 1 position on my switch worked but once I figured it out and soldered it a little cleaner it worked fine. I went back and re-soldered half of my connections once I got a good feel for it and was able to make cleaner looking connections.

In the end, it wasn't too bad, a little time consuming but I'll definitely do it again. Don't cut your wires too short and expect to have to redo a few things. Don't get frustrated, remember that it's your first time!

Good luck!

Allen
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 7

I've never had to use a volt meter for rewiring, but it's not hard at all. If your paranoid about it, make a wiring diagram of how your guitar is wired now so you can see where you made a mistake if your guitar doesn't work at first. Overall a 12 year old could do it with some direction, so there's nothing to fear.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:11 PM

I didn't use a volt meter either. Also, I used a 25watt soldering iron.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

I was told that a voltmeter would be good to use to check connections, but if ya'll think it's useless, that'll just save me some cash.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 04:34 PM

Well I have use one in th past on a old guitar to ohm out the wires to see if the were still good... I guess you can also check if you have a cold solder joint, but as long as you prep the wires (put solder on a new wire before solder to switch or pot) you shoul d be fine. Its really not hard. if you havent solder befor just practie with some wire and sold the together... have fun
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 PM

I'm sure it could come in handy but if you don't already own one I wouldn't say you NEED it. You could always run out to get one real quick if you're having problems and decide you need it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

ya'll are awesome as always, thank you for the encouragement and responses.

I take it that switching out the pots isn't really all that hard? from normal one's to push/pull?

Tags
bridge pickup , les paul , neck pickup , volume knobs , volume pots , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode