Is RG 1527 body made up of laminated bass wood? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Is RG 1527 body made up of laminated bass wood?

From my observation, I concluded that it is. If I am wrong, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Vendor

And you observed this with your Xray spy glasses found in this mornings Captain Crunch box?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 05:19 PM

RG1527

I guess some people never grow out of childhood memories. But who cares? Many people here like you and even buy guitars from you.
I also discovered several layers of wood sandwitched on top. It was visible from tone/volume pot holes.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Vendor

Not me, I'm a Frosted Flakes guy

Well that actually makes no sense. I've got a couple 1527's comming I'll definately have to pull a pot on, but, still makes no sense.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 05:36 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
look in the trem cavity or electronics cavity. it should not be laminated, as that would be absurd... glen
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 05:49 PM

Very few mass-produced guitar bodies are one piece of wood, simply because 18" to 24" wide planks of instrument-quality lumber are relatively uncommon (and expensive).

It's not at all uncommon for a solid body to be made up of two or three pieces laminated together, in order to get a piece of lumber wide enough to cut a body from. On guitars with transparent finishes, they often try to make the body from two (sometimes three) pieces of wood. On guitars with solid finishes, it's not unusual to have three or more pieces of wood laminated together.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 05:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

jems have traditionally been 2 piece bodies which is a classic design. MIJ RGs were the same. There were pics of the DBK bodies that looked like 6-piece. Either way these are no "laminated" which implies several layers (top to bottom). glen
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
look in the trem cavity or electronics cavity. it should not be laminated, as that would be absurd... glen
You can't, it's painted
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:57 PM

Re: Is RG 1527 body made up of laminated bass wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsmyuniverse
From my observation, I concluded that it is. If I am wrong, let me know.
So what exactly did you observe that led you to this conclusion?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:36 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
You can't, it's painted
i know, but you should be able to feel/see the (absence of) lamination seems on the large surface ... glen
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:18 PM

Wouldn't the neck pocket also be a good place to check? Or does Ibanez paint those, too?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:19 PM
site founder 0% owner

those are unpainted if you wanna remove the neck ... glen
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:19 PM

it is very common that guitar bodies are made from several blocks of wood ~4-8" wide glued together on the edges. most bodies are at least two pieces, and some can be as many as 4, like my RG2027. the 1527 body is almost certainly at least two pieces of edge joined wood, and possibly 3 or 4.

"laminated" refers to flat layers [i.e. 'lamellar,' etc.], like plywood, not edge-joined blocks of solid wood. only really cheap guitars will use plywood for a body -- even the recent Squiers are made with solid agathis rather than plywood.

there's no way a mid-high end RG is made of plywood. you might be seeing the edges of router cuts or coats of shielding paint that can look like a layer in the wood underneath.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode