RG 2550 pickguard & trem question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 20
RG 2550 pickguard & trem question

Hello guys
I'm looking to purchase another Ibanez in the next few months. In particular, I'm quite interested on the RG2550z in galaxy white. Actually I played one a few months ago when I was shopping for an amp, too bad I did not pay attention at the guitar back then..
Now I have a few questions :

1. How good is the edge zero trem in terms of tone/sustain? (I would probably block the trem as soon as I get the guitar so how it stays in tune is not really relevant for me) if it is not good, is it possible to fit an edge pro on the guitar?

2. Is the 2550z pickguard differ in color compared to previous 2550e? I remember the guitar I played has black-ish pickguard rather than bronze. Also Is it made of plastic or metal? Is there someplace I can get bronze metal pickguard?

Thanks

Last edited by bowie8889; 10-15-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:54 AM

Re: RG 2550 pickguard & trem question

Blocking doesn't work as well on the Edge Zero because of the ZPS, but I think it is possible. You should be looking at a used one with the Edge Pro if you plan on blocking it.
No, you can't retrofit an Edge Pro without extensive routing.
There is one with Seymour Blackouts and an OFR on the bay right now.
Number: 150604635870
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 AM

I haven't actually looked into the cavity, but I don't see why you can't block a ZPS trem. if you remove the ZPS system (very easy) then what's the difference?

plus, the ZPS system means the guitar holds its tuning very well anyway. if you don't want a trem why not look at the 1451?

regarding the pickguard, it's plastic. idk where you can get a bronze pickguard but you might try pickguard paradise to start.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 20

Thanks guys, the reason I want to block the trem is to get some extra sustain, but tuning stability is also a bonus, because the band I play in sometime play songs that require drop or open tuning.
When I see picture of the EZ, the block appear very small..! this worry me because I swapped the edge pro block on my RG with heavier brass one, and notice a big tonal improvement.
I dont like the color of the 1451 or the 10th anniv. Prestige.. Also a guitar trem looks more complicated than a hardtail, girls always ask "what is that for?" (well, this is a minor reason.. )

Anyway guys now i'm a bit uncertain about the purchase, I already own an RG 1570, do you think I should spend 1300$ for the same guitar, with improvement only in cosmetics?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 AM

whether it's worth buying another guitar or not is up to you. there are guys on here with rooms full of guitars. so if you need any help in justifying it, there's plenty on the internet.

the Edge Zero does have the benefit of being able to change tunings easily. you only have to adjust the thumb wheel at the back and setting the trem level is no problem. much easier than a fully-floating bridge (and you'd still have the trem to impress the girls )

I can't really comment on the sustain issues though, and I don't know if anyone's made replacement blocks for the EZ yet. if they have then that might be an idea.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM

the ibanez rg2550 is one of the best guitars out there for shredders in my opinion. i personally have the rg2570z.

Tags
edge zero , pickguard , rg2550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode