RG 270 Post Conversions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

RG 270 Post Conversions

Okay sorry about the post name, but Ive still got the problem so I have to ask it again to bypass any flaming. *I changed my original floyd and I got some new post but they are too small. *Are the lo-trs post the same size as the single locking floyd post? *what post ill fit? *What post are slightly bigger? *Bushings and all? * Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:28 PM

RG 270 Post Conversions

The posts that come with the TRS are bigger diameter than those on an edge. *if you want to use the Edge posts, you need to swap the bushings out too. *However, the edge should work on the TRS posts, the spacing is the same. *At any rate, it's not that hard to swap the bushings out either. *

Ok, ignore what I said, if it's an original floyd, I don't know LOL,

(Edited by littlegreenman at 1:29 pm on Feb. 21, 2002)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:51 PM

RG 270 Post Conversions

I changed the trem on my 270 for an Edge as well. i dont know about the lo pro, but i had to router out my trem cavity for the edge. you just gotta try to fit it, then i used a drum sander bit for it and sanded the opening about 1/8" on the rear corners, and about 1/4" or more to make room for the lock screws in the back. just gotta see how it fits. and USE A DREMMEL! rent on if you dont have one. but DONT chizel basswood. it doesnt work, i know lol

actually for the money, dremels arent a bad investment. I picked myself up a craftsman one for cheap a while back. its basically a dremel with a craftsman sticker on it. i doubt any of the dremel router guides will fit, or the foot pedal speed control, but all the bits fit just the same *shrugs*

I never swapped the posts, i used the old TRS posts, but what happened was: the bushings for the TRS posts for some reason didnt like the edge. when i tuned it up, the left (opposite the electronics) side post gave way. the wood is so soft it just kinda, moved. the wood didnt split, it just mushed cuz it was so soft. so i pulled the bushing out, put a nice sliver of wood in there, a little glue, hammered the bushing in (tighter the better, just dont split the body) and glued the hell out of it. 24 hours later i tuned it up, worked like a charm. if someday it ever gives way again, ill just drill it out to 1" or 3/4" and hammer dowels in there, then drill em out for edge posts. but i dont think ill have to. if you have any questions, feel free to email me ([email protected]), ill share what little knowledge of the process i have (ive done that mod to the SAME guitar), and also, our very own Nuno is a great knowledge rescourse, and hes a really nice guy too. he helped me through the whole refit.

good luck!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

RG 270 Post Conversions

well the trem sits perfect and stuff. *Im just really bent on changing the old post. *One of them is rigged. *God forbig any of you saw this post you would shoot me. *Anyways, I do want new bushings. *The rg 270 trem is different than the trs, but is the spacing the same? *And are the post and bushings the same? *Ive changed bushings before but I have no clue what size will fit in the cavity itself. *Should i plug it redrill and put in the new smaller ones?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 03:06 PM

RG 270 Post Conversions

the RG270 trem IS a TRS, and the spacing on the TRS and the Edge is the same. The posts are very different (speaking of which, hey rich, do you need bushings for edge posts or do they screw into the wood?) , however the spacing is the same and a lo pro will fit on TRS studs.

my bad, i was thinking lo-pro, not lo-TRS. but if it was the original tremolo on the 270, that is a TRS not a floyd (well, its a licensed floyd)

rich MIGHT have the parts you need, but im not sure. I would be willing to bet that the posts and bushings for a lo-trs are the same as on a TRS.

but first, lets determine your tremolo. a single locking floyd, on an ibanez, is a TRS. if you have never before changed the tremolo, then its a TRS. have you?

(Edited by BZ Beetle at 2:13 pm on Feb. 21, 2002)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

RG 270 Post Conversions

okay the trem that I switched to is an original floyd and I know that the spacing is right Im just asking questions. *But my old trem post are in such bad shape that they really need replaced. *The original single locking trem from an rg270 was the one that the strings go through the bolts rather than clamping. *The original floyd is a perfect fit, and keeps tune, but I really really have to change the trem post to complete this project. *so if the single locking post are identical to the trs post and bushings, does rich have trs post and bushings in stock? *Thats basically all I need. *Someone contact him or give me a link as I dont really know the guy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 04:20 PM

RG 270 Post Conversions

The link is the Ibanez Rules banner at the top of the page. *It's Rich Harris also, Rich Pike is the Vai.com guy, not the Ibanez guy. *Just email Rich, he's totally kewl, you can't miss his banner it's the swirly one at the top right *^ up there. *Send him a picture if you're not sure what the part number or anything is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode