RG 550 Neck Fit - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

RG 550 Neck Fit

I just got an RG550 neck, its stamped RG550R#2 on the heel.

I have a body I bought about a year ago, its a 2002 RG550 body.

They don't fit together

I suppose it may be a wizard 2 profile neck, but it says made in Japan on the back of the headstock, and I thought wizard 2 was only on cheap korean models.

If this problem isn't just my imagination, please give me a shout. Is it possible to retrofit this neck onto my body if it is the wizard 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:47 PM

Reviews: 1
See here:

http://jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/neckjoint.htm

Just look at the screw pattern and that will give you your answer.
The 02 550 has the AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) while your neck may have the original joint.

I would see about selling the Orig and buy an AANJ neck.

Much easier than messing up a good neck.

Bamm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:57 PM

If they both are AANJ and you just can't press the neck in because the wood is swollen or the pocket is too narrow, that's common. There are tolerances between them so that some necks will be loose in other bodies and vice versa. If the neck has a nice finish on it I would dremel/sand/scrape, whatever from the neck pocket. If the neck is beat up, and you plan to strip it and oil it, or refinish it, you can sand a little away from the sides of the neck.

But if the neck joints are different, bamm is right, don't bother.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

No, no, I definitely know the difference between an aanj and a square heel, I own a 777DY. This neck is aanj. It says made in japan, and although I previoiusly believed it to be otherwise, I'm beginning to think that it is a wizard 2. What else would expain a made in Japan RG550 neck not fitting a made in japan RG550 body?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Ah, I see. I guess I could ask my uncle who builds guitars to help me with this, he's built a lot of guitars and probably thinks this is no problem. But has anyone here had to do this sort of thing to get a neck to fit? If you did, what did you do?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

damn- double post
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 04:14 PM

Yeah, all the time. I have like 15-20 Ibanez and I'm always jacking around with neck swaps. Few are stock and I buy necks on e-bay sometimes, too. There's always some fitting differences, and on some guitars, it's caused me not to make the switch, because I realize I'd have to do too much.

Most of the time, I will re-route the neck pocket anyway, because I like to recess it, and put a little neck angle in it. That way the neck sits a little lower and the bridge is the same or higher, giving more pullup. Most of my older Ibanez guitars had neck shims in there from the factory. So I pull the shim and route an angle right into the pocket. If I'm doing that, I'll use the router to widen the pocket if necessary. If not, then sometimes I'll use a dremel, a file, a sanding block, a razor blade, or whatever.

An RG neck pocket is deep enough, so you can just widen the slot. You should take an equal amount off each side, but sometimes one side is clearly the main offender. You're really not going to know which side. You have to check the alignment, and the screw locations vs. the holes. I would take equal amounts off until it goes in. If you do it with a router only, be careful for chips around the edge. I will almost always do the "entry" areas by hand.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks frank, I feel a lot better now. I just checked again, and you're right- the heel is barely larger than the pocket at all. I'll probably get my uncle to read your post and help me out, I'm too afraid to go in there wielding a dremel tool myself- both parts are in great condition.

Tags
aanj neck , access neck joint , ibanez guitars , neck angle , neck joint , neck joints , neck shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode