RG 550 RFR Edge Bridge question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

RG 550 RFR Edge Bridge question

Dear fellow jemsiters,

I have my RG 550 RFR for close to a year now and have noticed that the whammy bar getting 'looser' (despite having no 'play' whatsoever) it doesn't just sit on one position anymore like when it's new. Well since it's a 'push' in whammy unlike the floyd rose, my question is how can I just slightly tighten the whammy just so that it doesn't 'swivel' freely but just snug and doesn't move around?

Any 'Ibanez' approved methods to tighten this thing just a slight weeny bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:07 AM

Re: RG 550 RFR Edge Bridge question

Try replacing the white plastic rings on the whammy bar. Also, just to check, open the backplate and check if the screw holding the little pin spring at the base of the trem socket is still tight.

The RG550 RFR 1987 was my first Ibanez :-)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks GoofVaibes, any source or links I can get a hold of those plastic rings from?

I first saw the 550 some 28 years ago. Right after purchasing my first Ibanez S540 then did I know I made the wrong choice!

Now after 28 years of not playing the guitar I have finally gotten the 'standard' Ibanez. The RG 550 and the S540 was so much 'wow' back then and still is today in my eyes.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM

You can get those teflon bushings here: http://ibanezrules.com/

If you get some of those and replace them make you put the new ones on correctly. There are three dots on one edge of them; those face down or towards the pointy end of the bar.

You can also get some plumbers tape and put 1 or 2 layers inside the groove before putting the worn bushing back in place.

I like to use a cut strip from a ziplock bag just wide enough for the bar's groove as this lasts a bit longer, but the bushing has to be quite worn for this to work. Cut the strip long enough so you can hang on to the loose ends while it wraps the groove and put the worn bushing on, then cut the excess with scissors.

My favorite solution the Ultralite Tremolo Arm (UTA20) arm though. Greatest whammy bar ever! While the bushings still wear out with one of these, it takes a lot longer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Hi mjstack, thanks for a whole bunch of tips.

Seems like there is no surefire solution for the whammy bar issue.

This would take me awhile to figure out what works for me!

I've had my fair share of problems with the floyd rose too. But still love my floating bridges n not going anywhere without it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 11:21 AM

I take the bar off and replace it with a Floyd rose type screw on collar. It's completely reversible and works great.

Tags
bridge , edge , tremolo , whammy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode