RG 560 Transplant Project - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

RG 560 Transplant Project

Hi all,

New here. One of the reasons I joined the site was the robust modding community. My favorite thing to do (well outside of playing and even thats debatable) is to mod guitars.

I won't get a chance to crack this project for another few weeks as I'm in a different hemisphere then the parts are, but i thought I'd start a thread and see about getting any advice up front.

two or three years ago a i bought a rg 550 from a pawnshop. It was a bargain for 200 bucks. I've played it and I love it. The problem is that it served as a road guitar for someone and the finish on the body is beat to hell. the custom pickups aren't wired correctly, and while the screamin demon in the bridge is pretty good it just misses something.

Last week I scored a replacement body, silver 1987 560, I can't find a silver one in a catalog, but it has the right stamps and pickups and it's a square heel.

The simple plan is to pull the neck and the bridge of out old and busted black body and swap for the silver body, probably adding a set of blue dimarzio's (injector neck, Dunno middle, Tone Zone or PAF pro bridge).

I've never taken apart and put back together a double locker, so any adivce would be welcome, as well as tips on pickup selection, going for a paul gilbert overall tone.

Pics to be added when i return nd start taking bits and pieces off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: RG 560 Transplant Project

That's going to be an easy build! I suggest some PAF Pros for the pickups. Since the 560 is rear-routed, you'll need some pickup rings--go for some more color there, too. Can't wait to see how this turns out....keep us posted.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

It's silver with a hint of blue, and the choices for the color was to be anti metal and go all white on everything or go with blue. I want kind of a fun 80's less serious vibe, because the thing currently sweats darth vader, black on black on black.

I was going to go for matching pickups though, I hadn't thought about the ring, but i was considering using one of those Seymour duncan rings you can buy that allows you to do all the tapping and coil switching you want right on the ring, not into extra holes on this guitar. also wanted to do blue knobs and switch tip. rich has the knobs but not the tip for a BFP, which i'm guessing would be for a BLue floral Jem and would probably look pretty good with this setup.

When i get home i'll have to snap some photos of "The purple people eater" for everyone (RS240 body in creme, RS240 neck in purple, Kahler flyer bridge... because uh... well it was there dammit. and EMG 58 in the bridge. it also has a huge light up millitary style arming switch to turn the pickup on)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I MUST see the Purple People Eater!!!!! You'll quickly find out that I am the purple guitar king!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Gonna have to wait, It's in America and I'm in India.

It started out as me trying to replicate my rs435 that i got drunk and over relic'ed, but it had the cheap trem they put on the low model RS's in those days. The thing with the plate. I got tired of that and found a pawnshop guitar that had the kahler and vintage grovers on it. the body was plywood and the frets were trashed, but 70 bucks for a vintage kahler and grovers isn't bad, so onto the people eater they went. Any weird part i find that doesn't rightly belong anywhere usually goes on that guitar.

The people eater is slated to get a 9/18v switch installed, along with some sort of emg neck single coil, and a home made internal boost knob based on the "SHO" type design when i get home. THe people eater is a monster and is subject to change at any given time.

Tags
mod , rg560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode