RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Asgaroth
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norwalk, USA
Posts: 56
RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

I decided to change the broken stud.

and it seems like the previous owner actually glued it to the wood and there is no stud inserter.

What are my options? how to remove this stud if it's glued and then put inserter + new stud.

Thank you guys for your advice.

Regards,
A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (1.13 MB, 55 views)
Asgaroth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 12:14 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Croatia
Posts: 592
Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

Is there chance that insert is under paint? Seems to me that paint is touching stud.
peromucho7 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 01:31 AM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,757
Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

The anchor is under the paint and I doubt it's glued in, it's locked like a locking stud should be.
Rich is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norwalk, USA
Posts: 56
Unhappy Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The anchor is under the paint and I doubt it's glued in, it's locked like a locking stud should be.
I don't see the anchor and I can't turn it with pliers I did use WD40 on it)

which tool can help me? I know I can bring it to luthier but can't do that atm.

Thank you Guys.

more pics included
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2823.jpg (1.19 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2822.jpeg (1.40 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg image_123927839.JPG (1.92 MB, 18 views)
Asgaroth is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norwalk, USA
Posts: 56
Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
I don't see the anchor and I can't turn it with pliers I did use WD40 on it)

which tool can help me? I know I can bring it to luthier but can't do that atm.

Thank you Guys.

more pics included
You WERE RIGHT!!!

AND IT IS UNDER THE PAINT - still the stud doesn't turn
Asgaroth is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,757
Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

It should be easy to break loose with pliers, although I'd use channel locks. You have plenty of grip at the top of the stud with where the break is. WD40 will do nothing but wick under the paint and into the wood. If you can't break it loose [and i'd have that edge protected with thin cardboard or thin wood trying], you'll have to cut the paint away 1mm past the edge of the anchor and use a cats paw, or whatever you have that will work to pull the anchor.

And your other anchor is not seated, and it should be. That may be a previous botched repair if it doesn't just pull straight out.
Rich is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2020, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norwalk, USA
Posts: 56
Thumbs up Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It should be easy to break loose with pliers, although I'd use channel locks. You have plenty of grip at the top of the stud with where the break is. WD40 will do nothing but wick under the paint and into the wood. If you can't break it loose [and i'd have that edge protected with thin cardboard or thin wood trying], you'll have to cut the paint away 1mm past the edge of the anchor and use a cats paw, or whatever you have that will work to pull the anchor.

And your other anchor is not seated, and it should be. That may be a previous botched repair if it doesn't just pull straight out.
Alright, she is back into the action. Her name is Athina and thanks to you guys she is alive again.


Thank you, Rich and peromucho7 for your help.

Pictures attached- the original stud was very hard to get out you can see all the pealed metal.

The least I can do is to attach the pictures of 3 Ibanezes I own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2837.jpg (2.73 MB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2836.jpg (1.44 MB, 25 views)
peromucho7 likes this.
Asgaroth is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 04:37 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 6
Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

The average cost for a wheel lug stud replacement is between $164 and $205. Labor costs are estimated between $150 and $191 while parts are priced at $14. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
bhaiterabhai is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2020, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norwalk, USA
Posts: 56
Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaiterabhai View Post
The average cost for a wheel lug stud replacement is between $164 and $205. Labor costs are estimated between $150 and $191 while parts are priced at $14. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
Thank you for the price list. I did fix it. I don't mind paying just I was certain this I fix with the help of great advice I got from Rich and peromucho7.
Asgaroth is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 04:26 AM
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 5
Re: RG 750 Stud broke and surprise to change it.

Great forum! I had a issue similar like this with an old client of mine.
JoeMa is offline  
Reply

Tags
broken stud , edge , rg 750

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome