RG Mod thoughts and things... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

RG Mod thoughts and things...

Do not laugh... well, you can laugh I suppose, but my feelings will be hurt, well, not really, unless you make it known that you're laughing.

Anyway, I've got an RG 320DX (yes, you saw right), that I had given to my wife in 2002. Well, she never played it, so I got her an Ovation acoustic instead and she actually plays it, so I took the RG back. Some of you already know it sustained some sex damage (we knocked it over while mating) and although very minor and easy enough for even me to fix, I've decided that I want to turn it into a project guitar.

As it stands, right now it's a metallic blue color, rosewood fretboard (with gorgeous cheap plastic binding, mind you, shark tooth inlays, naturally one of the worst tremelos to have ever come into existence, and some horrid pickups to boot.

I personally have no experience modifying these types of things myself. I can build a computer, but I can't use sandpaper or wood carving tools for crap, otherwise, I'd start this project myself.

I'm looking at a number of options, but as it stands, this is what I have in mind:

Swirl (naturally), possibly PAW or DNA type, maybe something else with matching headstock... DEFINITELY a maple board, and I'm thinking abalone JPM style dots. Since the tremelo pretty much makes me want to cry as it is, I was thinking of having the cavity filled over, and have just a bridge replacement. I have 3 other guitars with trems on them, and I don't use it all that much.

Since the body is basswood, I'm considering going with something other than EVOs... perhaps PAFs.

EDIT: How the hell could I forget? Absolutely, has to have a monkey grip.

Anyone else have some freakish ideas that might make me drool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:14 PM

and I will be answering your email very shortly, I've only had time to read them the last couple days, I'll be spending this weekend doing the answering chore :P hehe
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 11:40 PM

I've always wanted to contour the back edge of the lower cutaway on my RGs because when I play the high frets I tend to have my hand sort of flat like a classical guitarist, and the edge of the cutaway digs into the back of my hand.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
and I will be answering your email very shortly, I've only had time to read them the last couple days, I'll be spending this weekend doing the answering chore :P hehe
That's cool brother... I have a habit about changing my mind about things... so it gives me a little more time to come up with new ideas : )
I wanted to have the lion claw done, and throw in an edge, but last night I thought about the fixed bridge idea, etc....

Tags
fixed bridge , high frets , monkey grip , rosewood fretboard , shark tooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode