RG with super heavy strings - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

RG with super heavy strings

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knows if a RG 350 will cope with 12-56's. The term is blocked out cos the edge 3 sucks

Thanks, Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: RG with super heavy strings

Not without adjusting the truss rod to compensate for the extra tension of the bulkier strings.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Depends if you are in standard tuning or not.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Neck adjustment is no problem, and will be in standard tuning, lowest tuning would be D standard
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Some guitars just dont like heavy guage strings. My Ibanez SA260FM plays awful with 12's. I tried 11's too but it'll only play well with 10's.
Yet my Squier Bullet sounds and plays great with 11's and 12's and lousy with 9's. They are pretty fickle things guitars
All you can to is try em out and see.
I looked your guitar up on the net and it looks a pretty robust looking neck, it may be ok. My neck is much thinner than yours going by the pic.
What kind of music do you want to play? You wont get any great playability if its rock. I like instrumentals and also like a mellow/jazzy tone so they suit me. But I've got to do without bending which is a bit of a pain at times.
That trem looks ok in the pic. Cant you adjust or modify it to play better?
Having said that, it can be pretty frustrating setting up a trem to suit really heavy strings. Usually you need another couple of springs to compensate for the extra tension.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Gotta be careful too with the nut slots. I think RG350 you are asking about has a locking nut, so that shouldn't matter, but if it's a nut that you have to cut to fit the heavy gauge string, you know going back would require a new nut. just food for thought.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I play a lot of jazz fusion as well as heavier stuff, it plays well with 11's at the moment, has a locking nut ( only a 350 DX) and the trem is completely blocked out with ebony . And squier strats can be absolute beasts. Both myself and my best mate have bullets, and they just get better with age somehow
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:35 PM

If you are already using 11's. I'd stick with them, I've got them on one of my Bullets at the moment and they still give me good playability and great tone too. I use Gibson brite wires.
I've got my trems blocked off on my Squiers too. I'll maybe invest in a good unit in the future. My Ibanez trem plays great and its the two-point fixing unlike that what I think, dumb idea of six screw fixing on the Squier and most of the Fender Strats as well. I know a lot of guys prefer it but I find much more control over the two point fixing.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 PM

Reviews: 11

youll have to do a setup but yes, theyll work. my rg570 has .14-.58's IN DROP a#

MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET A WOUND STRING FOR YOUR 3rd/G STRING!!. a plain string that thick ALWAYS sounds dead and lifeless

i found a link to a really great brand on sevenstring.org but once again, im banned so i cant help you :/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 PM

Reviews: 20

I use 11s in standard tuning. It really bring my RG to life in terms of sustain, resonance.. The playability is not much different than when i was using 10s, in fact I think it is easier to do alternate picking on 11s because you can really feel the pick attack
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 PM

You need to add more springs to counteract the extra pull. I don't think you can block off the trem when you only have 3 springs.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM

I put 12s on my RG350 and I ran out of room to intonate it properly. I was in B standard though, you might have better luck tuned higher. Another thing, the strings blocks on the edge iii are made of a really soft metal. The 12 string dug into my block, and now it won't properly hold a 9 in place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode