rg120 help - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

rg120 help

To make a long story short my aunt asked me to fix my little cousins guitar he hasnt even touched in years it seems like.

I cleaned it up real good, but have two problems I have a few questions.

First the bridge on it sucks, so I was wondering if I can leave it like i have it in the pictures.

Also this truss rod seems to be broke. I can turn it left, and right but the neck stays in the same

Basically the guitar sucks balls, but if it is a quick fix ill put in a little time to fix it. Otherwise I won't bother.

So can anyone answer those questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: rg120 help

As long as the trem baseplate is parallel to the body--you're fine. Concerning the saddles--make sure the guitar is intonated correctly.
How many turns did you go in each direction with the truss rod nut? With a bow like that, and if the rod is truly broken--he might as well get a new guitar. If you don't have the skills to remove the fretboard to get to the truss rod--it'll cost more to pay a luthier for the job than that guitar cost in the first place.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Reviews: 1

Is there resistance to the truss rod? and you need to go to the left to bring that closer to flat.
As for the trem, loosen the springs in the back a bit, and re-tune, it will level out.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
As long as the trem baseplate is parallel to the body--you're fine. Concerning the saddles--make sure the guitar is intonated correctly.
How many turns did you go in each direction with the truss rod nut? With a bow like that, and if the rod is truly broken--he might as well get a new guitar. If you don't have the skills to remove the fretboard to get to the truss rod--it'll cost more to pay a luthier for the job than that guitar cost in the first place.
Correct, these can be had for around 150.00 new.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

ya the truss rod just spins any way. I'm just gonna tell her to buy him a 350dx. This guitar is worthless.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 PM

sorry to disagree there jimmy. but if your holding the guitar as pictured in the neck picture. you want to turn it to the right or clockwise to remove some of that bow
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM

did you get it sorted out? stop turning to the left and turn to the right to remove some of that bow
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jym-ellis View Post
did you get it sorted out? stop turning to the left and turn to the right to remove some of that bow
if your looking at it as in the photo, when I do them I'm facing the guitar, but either way it would be clock wise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode