RG1550 modding time! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

RG1550 modding time!

After lots of thought (and money) I decided that I should just mod my RG1550 to be a 3 single coil strat. While I like the GS bridge, the neck just doesn't feel right for me, and the fact that my 1550 is my baby that I never want to get rid of yet want to use more, this is the best choice.

Here are the things that will be done, along with some questions:

Getting a pickguard custom made, all black, 1 ply.
Need new capacitor
New 250k pots for single coils
New jack (switchcraft Military grade)
Dimarzio HS-4 and HS-3 pickups in blue (Yngwie tones and to keep my blue scheme that I have with my gravity storms)

I want to put a dimarzio super switch into the guitar, but I am concerned that the selector will be too big for the cavity of the 1550. Will the Dimarzio super switch fit in the cavity without any modding being done to the body?

What are some good 250K CTS pots? I'm thinking of maybe going with the fernandes pots (they are easily available but I don't know if they can be trusted).

Last edited by MatiasTolkki; 03-08-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Not condenser, it's a capacitor <-bad me :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: RG1550 modding time!

My advice is to change out the pots and switch first before changing the pups. Changing to 250k pots has a huge affect on how pickups sound. If you change them first, you'll know what affect they had for your guitar in particular. The Mega switch from dimarzio will fit perfectly. The CTS Pro pots (brass shaft) are the ONLY pots I use now. They're built like tanks and are usually a lot cheaper than some of the "boutique" pots.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
My advice is to change out the pots and switch first before changing the pups. Changing to 250k pots has a huge affect on how pickups sound. If you change them first, you'll know what affect they had for your guitar in particular. The Mega switch from dimarzio will fit perfectly. The CTS Pro pots (brass shaft) are the ONLY pots I use now. They're built like tanks and are usually a lot cheaper than some of the "boutique" pots.
What do those pots look like? Have a link?

I may also not be able to find those pots here, so I'll need to see if I can find em.

I'll also order the dimarzio switch soon. Have a couple other expenses first.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post

I may also not be able to find those pots here, so I'll need to see if I can find em.

They will look pretty much like the pots you have on your guitar right now just with a different resistance, just open your control cavity and look at them, i don't think they will be hard to find where you are, its a very common electronic part.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post

Oh i'm sorry man i see now that RGT was referring to the CTS pro pots, still if you just want to try the sound of 250k pot just get a regular one and try it, till you can find the CTS

Tags
rg1550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode