Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RG1570 Suddenly Fretting Out on 21st Fret of High E String

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  guitarman13 
#1 ·
The other day my RG suddenly started fretting out when I do bends on the 21st fret of the high e string. I didn't make any adjustments to it at all. Would a truss rod adjustment possibly do anything? And if so, I would want to tighten the truss rod, correct? Has anyone else had a similar problem and been able to fix it without having the frets leveled?

#4 ·
Yeah, that sounds like a popped fret. Usually caused by a dry neck. That being said I have seen a ton of people use the wrong length screw and drive the fret up from the back side in this area....IF they were lucky enough to hit the fret and not drive it through the fretboard.
Run your fingers down the sides of the fretboard, if you feel any sharps, the neck is too dry.

As far as a fix...sometimes you can press it back down with a woodblock and a strong hand. Some people will say tap it...that might work for some but being as how I have freakish gorilla strong hands I can press them back with no probs.

Good luck.

~JH

#5 ·
After playing the guitar again today, I realized that when when I do bends on the high e string, it's fretting out on the 19th fret upwards, so all of those high frets that sit above the neck joint are having the problem. I don't think the neck is too dry, as I've kept it pretty well oiled. What would cause all these high frets to suddenly start fretting out when doing bends?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.