RG1XXV high e string moves progressively towards edge of fretboard up the neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy RG1XXV high e string moves progressively towards edge of fretboard up the neck

I recently was playing a new Ibby that I got (from Rich & Ibanez Rules) and it plays perfect. When I then switched to play my RG1XXV which was bought from eBay a while back I realized I was slipping off the fretboard on the high e quite a bit.

When I examined the string placements I can see that up near the nut the high and low e seem to be equal distance from edge of fretboard, but as you move up the neck towards pickups the high e moves closer and closer to the edge, whereas the low E does not. This causes problems in my playing.

The new Ibby I purchased does not do this and plays perfect. Is my problem in the bridge? Neck pocket? Attached are images. Thank you for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1551.JPG (41.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1552.JPG (44.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (38.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1550.JPG (48.5 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Vendor

Re: RG1XXV high e string moves progressively towards edge of fretboard up the neck

You can try and loosen the neck screws and pull the neck as far to the bass side as you tighten them, you might get a little back, but that's looks like typical Premium neck pocket alignment which requires carefully sanding the bass side of the pocket to open it up, carefully to get it a straight edge and at a 90* to the base of the pocket. One of the biggest reasons I just took them all off the menu.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Re: RG1XXV high e string moves progressively towards edge of fretboard up the neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You can try and loosen the neck screws and pull the neck as far to the bass side as you tighten them, you might get a little back, but that's looks like typical Premium neck pocket alignment which requires carefully sanding the bass side of the pocket to open it up, carefully to get it a straight edge and at a 90* to the base of the pocket. One of the biggest reasons I just took them all off the menu.
Ah, that's a bummer, as I love the look of the guitar but playability trumps all. When you say loosen neck screws, how many full turns are we talking?

Thanks Rich.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Vendor

1/2 turn, more if you want. I usually hold it vertical and try to work the neck in the pocket toward the treble side to try and change the angle of the neck in the pocket, but usually the pocket is very tight. To pull the neck over I'll lay it across my legs in playing position [neck on left body on right] and push down on the upper horn [not hard enough to crack the wood in the neck pocket!] and tighten the screws while holding it. You may get a little adjustment, you may get nothing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
1/2 turn, more if you want. I usually hold it vertical and try to work the neck in the pocket toward the treble side to try and change the angle of the neck in the pocket, but usually the pocket is very tight. To pull the neck over I'll lay it across my legs in playing position [neck on left body on right] and push down on the upper horn [not hard enough to crack the wood in the neck pocket!] and tighten the screws while holding it. You may get a little adjustment, you may get nothing.
Got it. Will try. Just to clarify, I need the neck to be pulled to the right or the left if I'm looking at the front of the guitar? Also, if I want to try and sand down what grade paper would I use? Thx.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Vendor

Headstock toward the bass side. 100 grit on the paper, cut to a strip just a little wider than the pocket, fold it a few times to give it stiffness, keep the edge flush against the floor of the pocket, and keep the pressure even. You want to sand more off the end of the side then the middle so you have to sand a little on the end, progressively sanding longer and longer strokes so you're sanding an angle into the pocket. Be careful not to roll the end of the pocket, keep everything straight and square and put the neck back in the pocket to check how straight the edge and the progress.

Do it with the trem pulled out, strings still on, so you can put the neck on, drop the trem back on, and check how far you've brought the strings over. The closer you get to perfect the more often you check, but just getting it off the edge should be your goal, you can get into trouble chasing perfection.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Headstock toward the bass side. 100 grit on the paper, cut to a strip just a little wider than the pocket, fold it a few times to give it stiffness, keep the edge flush against the floor of the pocket, and keep the pressure even. You want to sand more off the end of the side then the middle so you have to sand a little on the end, progressively sanding longer and longer strokes so you're sanding an angle into the pocket. Be careful not to roll the end of the pocket, keep everything straight and square and put the neck back in the pocket to check how straight the edge and the progress.

Do it with the trem pulled out, strings still on, so you can put the neck on, drop the trem back on, and check how far you've brought the strings over. The closer you get to perfect the more often you check, but just getting it off the edge should be your goal, you can get into trouble chasing perfection.
Thanks. I'll decide between trying this or just selling the bugger. Appreciate the info.

Tags
ibanez , rg1xxv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode