RG1XXV truss nut stripped or not? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Question RG1XXV truss nut stripped or not?

Hi all! New to the site and to Ibanez guitars. Recently snatched a crispy RG1XXV in that beautiful pink color. I absolutely love love love the guitar. It is simply amazing. However, recently it was buzzing quite a bit and when I checked the relief sure enough there was none. So I set about adjusting the neck. Could not get a clear answer on what hex size it takes, but 4mm was too small and 5 was too big. Looking into the nut to me the hole looked pretty round, not too hex shaped. However when I used a 4.5 hex key that sure enough got her to turn and I was able to loosen the rod.

The relief is perfect now, but here's what I'm wondering. Should I set about changing out the truss rod nut at this point, or do you think I will be fine using the 4.5mm hex key for all future adjustments?

Thanks for any advice!

**Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Upon closer inspection with a better flashlight the hex nut is fine (it has a rounded top, basically a bowl to help guide you in I guess) and what I thought was a 4.5mm hex key is actually a 4 (the labeling of my set is skewed). If anyone was wondering the truss nut on the RG1XXV takes a 4mm key. Man do I love this guitar!!

Last edited by JerkChicken; 03-02-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:40 AM

Re: RG1XXV truss nut stripped or not?

Welcome to Jemsite and congratulations on your new Ibanez RG1XXV Pink.

I am glad you was able to resolve the issue on your guitar.

I completely understand why you are so excited about this guitar as I also have the same one and the color is just stunning, vibrant and plays really well for its price.

I absolutely love the one I have.

Cheers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by froctavio View Post
Welcome to Jemsite and congratulations on your new Ibanez RG1XXV Pink.

I am glad you was able to resolve the issue on your guitar.

I completely understand why you are so excited about this guitar as I also have the same one and the color is just stunning, vibrant and plays really well for its price.

I absolutely love the one I have.

Cheers
Totally man! I am so in love with it that it makes me want a Jem! Haha, but who doesn't want a Jem, right? The only thing I see a little out of whack on mine is that the humbucking pickups are kind of slanting towards the single coil in the middle. Do you know what I mean? They are not completely parallel to strings like they should be, they have a slight slope to them. Can this be fixed if I open her up? Any idea what this is from? Would you like a picture?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 120

Just adjust the pickup mounting screws slightly, and see if the pickup will level out by moving it with your hand too. Just gently.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Just adjust the pickup mounting screws slightly, and see if the pickup will level out by moving it with your hand too. Just gently.
Thanks, will do with the adjustments. I pushed back in place by hand without touching the screws but the pickups went right back to their slanted position. I'll try the screws.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkChicken View Post
Totally man! I am so in love with it that it makes me want a Jem! Haha, but who doesn't want a Jem, right? The only thing I see a little out of whack on mine is that the humbucking pickups are kind of slanting towards the single coil in the middle. Do you know what I mean? They are not completely parallel to strings like they should be, they have a slight slope to them. Can this be fixed if I open her up? Any idea what this is from? Would you like a picture?
Hello.

After reading your post I went to check out my guitar and it does indeed has the exact slanting towards the middle pick up that you described. (never notice before). Using my fingers i pulled that edge and pushed on the other side to align it gently. After the first attempt it kind of went back but after the 3rd attempt it stood straight. Did'n't notice any difference in sound at all after doing that subtle adjustment.

Also since you have the same guitar with the same color, you might want to check out the Neon green straps that complement really well the neon pink of your guitar.

Cheers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by froctavio View Post
Hello.

After reading your post I went to check out my guitar and it does indeed has the exact slanting towards the middle pick up that you described. (never notice before). Using my fingers i pulled that edge and pushed on the other side to align it gently. After the first attempt it kind of went back but after the 3rd attempt it stood straight. Did'n't notice any difference in sound at all after doing that subtle adjustment.

Also since you have the same guitar with the same color, you might want to check out the Neon green straps that complement really well the neon pink of your guitar.

Cheers
Cool dude. Thanks for the info and I will def check for those straps. Dimarzio? Sounds like a killer color combo. Rock on!

Tags
ibanez , rg1xxv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode