RG20th Original Edge Action Question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

RG20th Original Edge Action Question

I'll admit to being a floyd noob, but what EXACTLY am I supposed to do to lower the action on the Edge? I would figure I would tighten the studs to go down into the body more, but I don't know if this is what I am supposed to do and Rich's site confuses me somewhat. If someone could show me pictures of how to do this and what parts to mess with it would help me GREATLY! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Re: RG20th Original Edge Action Question

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm#post
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

My problem is that I cannot find the set screw inside the post. How do I find this? I am using the smallest allen wrench that Ibanez included but cannot find any kind of screw within the post. Thanks for that link though, it helps a lot.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 07:38 PM

It may not have locking studs. The best way to be sure is to remove the bridge and back out one stud all the way and look at the bottom. If it is the locking type, you will see the tiny screw in the center. No tiny screw means non-locking posts. If you try to lower locking studs without backing out the locking screw will break the top of the post(seen it plenty from folks that didn't know they locked).
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

I finally got it! They were loosened when the guitar got to me, and I couldn't tell if they were turning or not because the wrench is just small enough to not make tension. I finally got the bridge lowered, and it brought the guitar to another level. The action is amazing now and I'm really pleased with the ease of use leveling it. Thanks guys!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilverdew View Post
I finally got it! They were loosened when the guitar got to me, and I couldn't tell if they were turning or not because the wrench is just small enough to not make tension. I finally got the bridge lowered, and it brought the guitar to another level. The action is amazing now and I'm really pleased with the ease of use leveling it. Thanks guys!
Glad to hear it Drew! Now show another cool pic of that guitar with the new pickups for us again, eh? (not sarcasm )
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Glad to hear it Drew! Now show another cool pic of that guitar with the new pickups for us again, eh? (not sarcasm )
I would, I just love taking shots of her, but it's not my camera. My theory is - Why buy a camera when you can buy an RG565? Then the next one is - Why buy a camera when you can buy a JPM?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:33 AM

So what's the action at now?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
So what's the action at now?
Probably about a mm above every fret evenly. A tad bit of buzz but I don't mind when it's plugged in.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
I would, I just love taking shots of her, but it's not my camera. My theory is - Why buy a camera when you can buy an RG565? Then the next one is - Why buy a camera when you can buy a JPM?
You sound as bad as I am about GAS. When I get the cash I always use the same guitar logic.

I think you hit the perfect classic look with the colors you added BTW.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Probably about a mm above every fret evenly. A tad bit of buzz but I don't mind when it's plugged in.
I always bring the action up just far enough so I get no buzz. Even if you don't mind it, it will lower your amount of sustain.

I prefer my action just a tad higher than the average shredder but I like my tone and sustain to be at its optimum level and too low action can detract from it. To each his own on action preference.

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out though
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You sound as bad as I am about GAS. When I get the cash I always use the same guitar logic.

I think you hit the perfect classic look with the colors you added BTW.
Hehe! I just can't imagine spending on anything other than guitars, food, women, and shelter (in that order)!

Thanks a lot, I had always dreamed of getting a wild Ibanez with crazy colors since I saw the music video for "Lie" by Dream Theater with Petrucci's...Black UV with green pups (If I remember correctly)...

Then I saw some David Lee Roth group video followed by "Addicted to that Rush" by Mr. Big and that sealed the deal haha!

EDIT:

Quote:
I always bring the action up just far enough so I get no buzz. Even if you don't mind it, it will lower your amount of sustain.

I prefer my action just a tad higher than the average shredder but I like my tone and sustain to be at its optimum level and too low action can detract from it. To each his own on action preference.

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out though
Yea I definitely agree about the sustain issue, but atm it's barely noticeable (if at all to anyone other than myself, after having played it for so long the way it was before). But when I play live I get a nice artificial sustain via easily controllable PA feedback, which luckily has sounded very nice for me so far so I'll just have to try out this new action height on the stage!

Last edited by quiksilverdew; 06-12-2007 at 01:50 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:

Yea I definitely agree about the sustain issue, but atm it's barely noticeable (if at all to anyone other than myself, after having played it for so long the way it was before). But when I play live I get a nice artificial sustain via easily controllable PA feedback, which luckily has sounded very nice for me so far so I'll just have to try out this new action height on the stage!
Cool. It's up to you what works and doesn't work.

I'm loving my RG20ths to death and I'm so damn glad I decided to grab them. I will be getting my DY next week - FINALLY!!! The DY is the one I wanted the most and the last one to be landing. I'm trying to decide on colors for mine but I really like your color choices. I might go green and purple just to get something different.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Cool. It's up to you what works and doesn't work.

I'm loving my RG20ths to death and I'm so damn glad I decided to grab them. I will be getting my DY next week - FINALLY!!! The DY is the one I wanted the most and the last one to be landing. I'm trying to decide on colors for mine but I really like your color choices. I might go green and purple just to get something different.
That would look brilliant, I was actually thinking about purple when I was picking out colors!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 AM

I figure that I might one day have a pyramid set inlayed and I really like the PMC version of the pyramids which would go nicely with those colors on the DY.

I like these stock pups enough that I'm really on the fence to change them. If I do end up changing them, I'll most likely go the PAF route since I'm told they are a nicer set of the basic same design as these stock pups.

Tags
allen wrench , clean tone , david lee roth , locking stud , locking studs , paf pro , paf pros , pinch harmonics , pyramid inlay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode