RG20th RFR major fret buzz issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

RG20th RFR major fret buzz issues

I've owned my RG20th RFR from new and never had any problems with it. The guitar has always had a super low action and very flat neck and played perfectly, for my personal taste. I recently got some new strings, the same strings I've used for many years (D'addario EXL120) and the playability of the guitar has completely changed. There is fret buzz pretty much everywhere on the neck, worse on the lower strings and pretty much every fret above the 12th fret is dead / chokes out, again, worse on the lower strings. I've played guitar for 30 + years and have never been afraid to to my own repairs and set-ups etc and I actually did an apprentice luthier course 22 years ago. I've tried giving the neck some relief, although I do prefer a flat neck but I figured this might be the best option. The neck now has some relief, which in turn has given me a higher action, again not to my preferences as I prefer a super low action, and the fret buzz has still not improved whatsoever. Tried raising the action with the bridge studs to a ridiculous height and still it buzzes like crazy. Just can't for the life of me work out what has happened. As I say, it used to play perfectly, with a super low action and flat neck and now it plays like crap and buzzes and chokes, even with an action so high you would need a step ladder to play it. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Red face Re: RG20th RFR major fret buzz issues

I also always do my own guitar teching, but this sounds really funny. When I'm lost, I have a friend who is a 30+ years pro guitar/gear dealer and have him take a look at it. Now that's what I'd do in your case, let somebody who is more knowledgeable than myself take a look at it and, as an added bonus, learn something new...

Regards,

JP
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Re: RG20th RFR major fret buzz issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
I also always do my own guitar teching, but this sounds really funny. When I'm lost, I have a friend who is a 30+ years pro guitar/gear dealer and have him take a look at it. Now that's what I'd do in your case, let somebody who is more knowledgeable than myself take a look at it and, as an added bonus, learn something new...

Regards,

JP
Thanks for replying mate . If I was back home living in England, that's exactly what I would be doing. I'm currently somewhere where there's not many guitar techs, unfortunatley.

Last edited by RGR570; 05-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM

Thumbs up Re: RG20th RFR major fret buzz issues

We have some amazing craftsmen and builders on the forum, I suspect that you will get some more, useful, input along the day.

It could be an environmental thing, as the humidity is very high on the Canary Islands...

Regards,

JP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
We have some amazing craftsmen and builders on the forum, I suspect that you will get some more, useful, input along the day.

It could be an environmental thing, as the humidity is very high on the Canary Islands...

Regards,

JP
Cheers mate. I did think that about the climate etc but I've lived here over a year and it only really happened the other week once I'd changed the strings. It's all a bit odd and very frustrating.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM

Reviews: 120

Do you perhaps need a fret dress now, after playing it for several years?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Reviews: 37

check pickup height.

check trem angle.

sounds like something came loose when you changed strings.

last thing
did you cut all strings off at same time under tension?

id check the neck pickup height and go from there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for the replies.

Frets are still in very good condition. Like I say, it played perfectly up until a couple of weeks ago.

Pickup height is the same as when I first set it years ago. Already experimented with lowering the pickups and no change whatsoever. The middle single coil is practically flush with the pickguard and the bridge and neck pickups are not excessively high.

Bridge angle is perfectly parallel, the same as all the other Edge / Lo Pro Edge Ibanez guitars I have / have had.

Strings were changed one at a time, nothing unusual.

Totally stumped here.

Last edited by RGR570; 05-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 PM

Reviews: 37

sucks.

change strings and call me in the morning, lol.

is the nut tight?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM

Reviews: 1

Sometimes you can get a bad pack of strings. Put on a new set and see what happens.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 PM

Reviews: 11

Dummy checklist

-> tighten neck bolts
-> tighten nut bolts (dont over tighten obviously)
-> make sure studs are locked
-> change the strings again, may have gotten a dud. If you change strings and it fixes it, CONTACT ME, I can assist you.
-> since you can measure relief, you can verify the neck isnt warped as well.

Barring fret work, which isnt likely, I have no ideas what would cause extreme action change other then something coming loose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode