RG2550 Low E string tuning issue - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

RG2550 Low E string tuning issue

I have been playing my 2550 a lot this past week, but I noticed something odd:

I had changed the strings awhile ago, and swiftly put it in the hardcase (I was busy playing my Carvin and Roadcore). I took out the 2550 to play and my tuning was a bit off. I did lots of stretching and now all the strings are fine, even when I pull back on the trem arm.. .except the low E string. It goes out of tune REALLY easily, and no matter how much I use the arm, the tuning isn't stable at all. I did lots of pulling on the arm to help stretch the strings, then I did 1.5-2 semitone bends to get more stretch going on, but it still goes way out of tune.

What are some possible issues that I can check and eliminate one by one until I find the cause of this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Banned

Re: RG2550 Low E string tuning issue

- Loose nut pad bolt
- Loose saddle string bolt
- Loose saddle intonation bolt
- Inadequate stretching
- Different brand/type of strings

how to check some of the above :

Strum the strings in their headstock part. Completely dive the trem and keep it there. Strum again. Do you see any change in any string? If yes, then the nut pads need tightening.

Do you feel the saddle moving towards the neck side? Measure exactly and measure again. Tighten if needed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 PM

Reviews: 2

These guitars had problematic nut pads. After many string changes or locking/unlocking of the pad the string would start making a groove in the pad itself. This allows the string to slip even without any use. Check the pads and the nut for any grooves/wear. You MAY have to replace it.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Banned

^^^ or coat pads and nut top with a thin layer of liquid metal epoxy at least where the grooves might have developed. In case this is the problem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
^^^ or coat pads and nut top with a thin layer of liquid metal epoxy at least where the grooves might have developed. In case this is the problem.
Where can I find metal epoxy? I'll check the issue tonight and see what I can figure out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I checked the pad, some wear but not enough to cause tuning instability.

The screws on the front of the bridge that lock down the saddles were somewhat loose, tightened all of them nice and snug.

I had then forgotten that I had raised my action on this particular guitar and forgot the lock the EZ down again. Also did that. I didn't play it yet but I will when I get some time to make sure those were the only issues that may be causing the instability. I'll post an update later. Thanks panix and RGT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode