RG270DX replacement tremolo? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

RG270DX replacement tremolo?

I have a late 90s RG270DX that has served me well for many years despite being a lower end guitar. It has a no name single locking trem though which I'd like to swap out. Does anyone know which trems fit it with minimal modification to the face of the guitar?

Also I've been told that this trem may accept standard OFR saddles on the original plate. The knife edges are still in near perfect condition so if that is a possibility I'm willing to look at that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: RG270DX replacement tremolo?

Get a Gotoh licensed Floyd Rose, install the locking studs and anchors that cOme with it and don't look back.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

That's the plan really, I'm just looking for minimal routing on the surface. I just installed a Gotoh for a friend a few months ago. I'll have to get his guitar back over here and take some measurements.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM

The single locking tremolo on these usually accepts original floyd rose tremolos and variants and ive put these on before. You may wish to go with a gotoh variant as they are similar in build quality to the higher end edge tremolo systems
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM

I replaced the original trem with a Lo Trs2 trem, but I had to cut out 2mm for each side of the tremolo cavity. If you use a cutter, maybe you don't need to repaint the top of the guitar but you have to be very carefully!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM

I had the same trem, i replaced the saddles with string saver ones, and set it to dive only. I could not get great floating action with the lower end unit, but in dive only it is great. This was a 60ish dollar option, but I believe cheaper saddles can be had.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to end up with a Gotoh 1996 in it. Right now I'm putting it on the back burner. I have an old Silvertone 1484 waiting for a rebuilt. I've never worked on an amp before so this will be a new one for me. I know enough to drain the caps so I don't electrocute myself but that's about it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, I changed my mind. I decided not to drop $180 on a Gotoh 1996 for a guitar of this quality. Instead I went ahead and put about $32 into turning the existing single locking tremolo into a double locking tremolo. It turned out pretty well. It was a nice project to do in lieu of another tremolo swap.

Original

New Saddles

Rebuilt Tremolo

Back in action

Full details of the work done are at my blog if anyone needs the info.
http://gideond.wordpress.com/2012/04...ade-for-cheap/

Thanks for all the input.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 AM

Good choice! Cheap and succesfull!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Yeah but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who used the tremolo a lot, which I personally don't. I don't feel that the knife edges would be hard enough to hold up to frequent use.

Tags
ofr , rg270dx , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode