RG320FM.. Edge 3 to Lo-pro Upgrade - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: RG320FM.. Edge 3 to Lo-pro Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Look at the curvature of the fingerboard. To get even string hight on all strings across the fretboard the bridge radius should as close as possible match the fretboard radius. Been a long time since I have seen a OFR but if I remember correctly it has a flat baseplate. You would need to use saddle shims to make the bridge radius match that of the neck radius.

Look at your Edge Trem, they have “steps” made into the baseplate in an attempt to match the fretboard radius. Doesn’t always work that way but it is supposed too. If it isn’t then your E strings and possible you’re A and B will sound fine with no buzz. However, your G and D would probally buzz if the radius of the fretboard and bridge are off or vice versa.

Visit http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm for a lot of good info in that area and stuff.
RG's have a flat radius, therefore they don't need shims on the saddles.

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: RG320FM.. Edge 3 to Lo-pro Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydock View Post
Are you saying that an Edge pro will fit into a Edge 3 route with no modification. I've been searching long and hard for the answer and gave up months ago. But if this is true, I'm ordering me an Edge Pro.

The edge 3 is great and all, but it doesn't stand up to my OFRs very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWiredBeck24 View Post
No, replacing the Edge III with an Edge Pro or Lo-Pro will need routing. The only swap that (allegedly) doesn't need routing is Edge III to OFR. Even with that swap the OFR may have a different string radius. The only trem that easily swaps with a Lo-Pro is the Edge (also an amazing trem, so most people wouldn't swap it) and the Edge Pro II swaps with the Edge Pro.

Back to the point, you'll need routing. I suggest buying a Lo-Pro. It's low-profile, fine-tuners out of the way, amazing tuning stability, and looks smooth. The Edge Pro is all of these things (with smoother looks) IF it has the locking studs. If you're buying an Edge Pro, get the locking stud mod from Rich.

So Lo-Pro (amazing)
Edge Pro (amazing with studs)

Either way it's a win-win; you will need routing though for both.
some people don't know how to search the threads hard enough and make quick assumptions.....

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68062

Jimmy
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG320FM.. Edge 3 to Lo-pro Upgrade

Thanks or all the replies guys! Ive been busy and havnt been online n a lil while, after looking into it EVEN MORE..

I am ordering a Lo-Pro Trem this week, from cottam guitars (as the dude seems cool lol and its cheaper than the Edge pro with studs). I am expecting to have it some time next week (payin by cheque) and my aim is to have the routing an installation done weekend after next.. needless to say I will be uploading pics when done seeing as there seem to be a couple of people thinking of doing the same..

ALSO.. seriously.. EVO2 and EVOLUTION neck.. get them for your (basswood)RG now!! I command you! ARRHH!

cheers, synth002.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Re: RG320FM.. Edge 3 to Lo-pro Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth002 View Post
cool, what exactly do you mean by locking studs?
Thats what Im wanting to know also ....

Tags
cottam guitars , custom shop , edge trem , evolution neck , floyd rose , fretboard radius , guitar tech , ibanez trem , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , neck radius , schaller floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode