Ibanez JEM Forum banner
9K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
Hey all im nearly finished upgrading my RG320FM!.. frets 10-24 are scalloped, the front of the guitar is now a silky satin finish, all the electronics have been changed inc a dimarzio multipole 5-way for nice switching options, I have an EVO2 in the bridge and Evolution in the neck (great pickups, soo much better than EMG's!!) and now for the final modification I want a decent working trem!!

Has anyone changed an Edge3 to a Lo-Pro trem? I am expecting to have to route the front of the guitar to make way for the slightly larger body of the Lo-pro but what I really want to know is, will the post's positioning match up to the old edge3?

This the the tutorial I have been checking out ..

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trs2lopro.htm

(dont worry the lil bit of routing will be done by a pro!).

Thanks for any help :), chris.

#2 ·
I wouldn't waste my time doing that much to the guitar. If I were you, I'd swap the Edge 3 for an Edge Pro and save yourself some money since it would basically retrofit on the guitar without any modifications. The only thing you should do is the locking studs from Rich.

Jimmy:smile:

#9 ·
Are you saying that an Edge pro will fit into a Edge 3 route with no modification. I've been searching long and hard for the answer and gave up months ago. But if this is true, I'm ordering me an Edge Pro.

The edge 3 is great and all, but it doesn't stand up to my OFRs very well.

#3 · (Edited)
I really don't think its that much, ive got a cool local guitar tech who will route out the area I mask off, which won't take long and won't be a lot of money, as long as the trem posts are lined up to the edge 3 the only thing I might have to do is enlarge the trem post holes which I could get the tech to do (just to be safe lol) I can the fit and setup the trem myself..

Only thing I really need to know is wether or not the trem posts measurements line up on each trem lol..

After reading a fair bit off the internet I thought the Lo-pro was ment to be the best (hardest wearing) out of all the ibanez trems, is that not so true?

#5 ·
Cool, thanks for the replies guys. Anyone else? I plan to buy a Edge Pro or a Lo-Pro this friday (seriously!) so any opinions are very welcome :).

Im still a bit undecided, I had read everywhere that the Lo-pro is the BEST Floyd style trem ever made.. (I mean vai still uses 'em!). But now you guys saying that the Edge Pro is just as good has kinda thrown me a little lol

cheers, chris

#6 ·
Well the thing with the edge pro is that thay don´t come with locking studs, however if you get some locking studs it would be great, my prestige has the standard non-locking studs and I have absolutely no complains, it works great, absolutely stable tuning

#10 ·
No, replacing the Edge III with an Edge Pro or Lo-Pro will need routing. The only swap that (allegedly) doesn't need routing is Edge III to OFR. Even with that swap the OFR may have a different string radius. The only trem that easily swaps with a Lo-Pro is the Edge (also an amazing trem, so most people wouldn't swap it) and the Edge Pro II swaps with the Edge Pro.

Back to the point, you'll need routing. I suggest buying a Lo-Pro. It's low-profile, fine-tuners out of the way, amazing tuning stability, and looks smooth. The Edge Pro is all of these things (with smoother looks) IF it has the locking studs. If you're buying an Edge Pro, get the locking stud mod from Rich.

So Lo-Pro (amazing)
Edge Pro (amazing with studs)

Either way it's a win-win; you will need routing though for both.

#14 ·
Look at the curvature of the fingerboard. To get even string hight on all strings across the fretboard the bridge radius should as close as possible match the fretboard radius. Been a long time since I have seen a OFR but if I remember correctly it has a flat baseplate. You would need to use saddle shims to make the bridge radius match that of the neck radius.

Look at your Edge Trem, they have "steps" made into the baseplate in an attempt to match the fretboard radius. Doesn't always work that way but it is supposed too. If it isn't then your E strings and possible you're A and B will sound fine with no buzz. However, your G and D would probally buzz if the radius of the fretboard and bridge are off or vice versa.

Visit http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm for a lot of good info in that area and stuff.

#18 ·
Thanks or all the replies guys! Ive been busy and havnt been online n a lil while, after looking into it EVEN MORE..

I am ordering a Lo-Pro Trem this week, from cottam guitars (as the dude seems cool lol and its cheaper than the Edge pro with studs). I am expecting to have it some time next week (payin by cheque) and my aim is to have the routing an installation done weekend after next.. needless to say I will be uploading pics when done seeing as there seem to be a couple of people thinking of doing the same..

ALSO.. seriously.. EVO2 and EVOLUTION neck.. get them for your (basswood)RG now!! I command you! ARRHH!

cheers, synth002.

#20 ·
Hey all,
Sorry for the thread resurrection but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

The reason why I resurrected this was because it was one of the first results I could find via Google 'Swap Edge 3 tremolo with lopro'

So hopefully this will help others in future with doubts

I spoke to Max and asked if I could. Just like the OP

It's confirmed to drop in with some mods.

You might need to cut away a little at the corners of each post for clearance and possibly dig a little deeper out of the cavity for pull ups.

I didn't bother with the posts and used what was already there.

Apart from that, the intonation is perfect and the tuning is sweet!