rg350 trem replacment - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

rg350 trem replacment

Hi All,
My son has a RG 350 and he would like to replace the trem
unit on it with a better one .
Any suggestions on what to use and what will fit?
Thanks

BillK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 10:23 AM

In order to fit the Lo pro edge or the new edge pro trem in that guitar it must be routed. Those are the better Ibanez brand trems and the best in the world if you ask me (and nearly everyone on this site). The trem itself, new from a dealer is going to run you north of $200-250 I think. Plus the routing job at probably $100 or so. At that point you're nearing the retail value of the guitar to begin with.

If I were you, I'd look for a used RG570. You can find them for around $300 in really good shape. Just hang on to the RG350 for a backup guitar or to use for alternate tunings or sell it. The 570 has the lo pro edge in it already. New you can buy one for $500 or so.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 01:02 AM

RG 350 trem

Can you just purchase a shorter block and do the rout job? That should improve the trem feel. I to have a son with the same guitar. I am planning to do the rout myself.

The bit with a wheel will run me about 60.00 and a little paint and we should be in business.

Please comment anyone.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 01:18 AM

I had an RG350DX and thought of repacing the trem, but I just sold it and moved on. That's probably the best advice
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 11:21 AM

Do a search on the forum, the answer is here already about 100 times.

An Original Floyd Rose will just drop in, no routing needed.

You may have to change the anchors/studs, but everything else is just "plug and play."

Mic
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 01:03 PM

I have heard several say Floyd Rose is a drop in option but thats from a cavity fit stand point right?

The radius on a Floyd is 10" and the WizardII neck is 400mm roughly 15.7" and the radius on the Wizard is 430mm roughly 17"

so with a floyd you would still be looking at saddle shims to match the radius and maintain the confortable string arch.

or am I wrong on that?

thanks--
Thomas
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 04:02 PM

Well, since nuts and bridges rarely match the fretboard perfectly you're ALWAYS going to be looking at shims . . . even with an Edge on a Wizard neck the saddles aren't perfect, so shimming is usually needed.

It's no great deal, even if you don't have "proper" shims you can cut them from soda cans. :-)

I have a few on both my RG's, and they are 430 mm, and the Edge is made for 430 mm.

Mic
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
Do a search on the forum, the answer is here already about 100 times.

An Original Floyd Rose will just drop in, no routing needed.

You may have to change the anchors/studs, but everything else is just "plug and play."

Mic
I bought an Original Floyd Rose today to replace my Lo trs II
(my guitar is a PGM30, 2002).

The OFR has a smaller baseplate than the Lo Trs II but the part under the trem arm hits the side of the trem cavity when pulling up. This means you
can only pull up like half a step or something...I was so surpised coz
alot of people have been claiming that the OFR fits without any
modifications... but my experience tells me otherwise.
I wanna be able to pull up as well as down...and I donīt want to
start routing coz then I might as well have gotten a Lo Pro Edge
or something...

Itīs so frustrating coz the trem feels awesome...I really like the OFR
but it sux not being able to pull up...I hate it when things donīt work
as they are supposed to... I donīt wanna spend any more money
on a trem for this guitar...well I rant...but Iīm just frustrated...

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , edge pro trem , floyd rose , pro edge , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode