RG350EXZ first fret noise - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

RG350EXZ first fret noise

Okay, I've been going back to my 350exz (the Z is just added to the Japanese models, it's no different than the 350EX, Indonesian-made) because I've been practicing dream police and need standard tuning.

Anyway, about a week and a half ago I noticed some strange noise coming from the first fret first string when I would hold the string down. When I checked other strings, the 2nd string first fret also made this noise. I took it to the shop and they just said "the neck is just a little off, a truss rod adjustment will do the trick." They adjusted it for me and it SEEMED to be okay. Till about 2 days ago. The same weird twangy sound is coming from the first fret, first string again.

I dont have time right now to get a sound sample but I can tomorrow. I just want to know what might be a possible problem and, what, if anything, can I do to fix this problem so it doesnt come back. I'm considering switching back my strings to .10-.46 to see if that helps (I'm currently using .09-.42, which i switched from .10-.46 because I wanted to hear the sound difference).

Just a footnote to all of this: I've heard from many people over here in Japan that the weather (going from dry winters to wet, humid summers) can warp the neck and that yearly maintenance is required to keep your guitar working properly over here. Considering recently we've been moving into spring and the humidity is starting to go up, I wonder if this might be one possible cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: RG350EXZ first fret noise

Hmmm yes the weather could be the problem. Adjust the truss rod just a little bit more. These things require tweaking across a few days sometimes in the changing weather.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Hmmm yes the weather could be the problem. Adjust the truss rod just a little bit more. These things require tweaking across a few days sometimes in the changing weather.
Thanks, at least now i know it's probably the weather doing it.

Another thing I learned today is that using the .10 gauge strings negates some of that twangy sound and since I had been using that gauge in standard tuning for so long, I never noticed the issue until I switched back to .09s. Good thing though, Now I know what to listen for and what string gauge will do for the guitar outside of just a sound difference
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Reviews: 4

Glad to help.

One thing I should mention - After the last time I changed strings, my B string made a crazy buzzy twangy sound all over the neck. I did everything including changing the action etc. Turns out the B string wasn't in the saddle properly and was over the square edge of the saddle instead of inside the groove! Just proves that you should check everywhere for any problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode