RG350MDX tuning issue. NEED HELP - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Post RG350MDX tuning issue. NEED HELP

I've got a weird tuning problem with my new rg350. It's my first guitar with a floyd rose and it's also my first REAL Ibanez. (I had a gio before this ) But anyway I take the tuning locks off at the top of the neck and tune the guitar with the fine tuning screws all centered together. It seems to stay a little flat ALL THE TIME. I tune the E and A strings and then screw the locking nut down. Then it's out of tune which I told might happen. So I then try to adjust them with the fine tuning scews on the FR which works for about 3 seconds before they start to go flat again.

THIS IS THE CASE FOR ALL THE STRINGS. Idk if this is a huge deal or something that is easily fixed. Hopefully the ladder.

Once again this is my first floyd rose so it's quite new for me. I have had a strat for 7 years that is a whole different animal when it comes to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: RG350MDX tuning issue. NEED HELP

String stretching perhaps? http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. Hopefully stretching out the strings will help. Crossing my fingers
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 AM

This isn't the proper way to tune your tremolo. Here is how:

1) Loosen your locking nuts.
2) Bring your fine-tuners all the way up (unscrewed) and then give them a full turn or two back down. You will find you are always a bit more flat than sharp and will have to tighten them down more often that loosening them.
3) Stretch your strings if they are new or fairly new. Pull each string up firmly and slowly but not so much as to break them. Do this several times for each string.
4) Tune your guitar. Start with the 6th string (bass E) and work your way to the 1st string(little e). Once youve tuned all 6 strings go back to the 6th string and see it it's still in tune. If not tune all 6 strings again. Keep doing this until all the strings stay in pitch.
5) Now that your guitar is in tune, check the tremolo. If the tremolo is even with the body of the guitar, skip to step #8.
6) If your tremolo is dipping up way out of the cavity towards the neck skip to step #7. If the tremolo is dipping down into the cavity, keep reading. Your springs have too much tension on them and they are pulling the tremolo into the cavity. You will need to remove the back plate on the back of your guitar. The springs are attached to a plate which is screwed into the body of the guitar on the neck end of the guitar. They should be two phillips head screws. Loosen the screws 1 full turn and go back to step #4. Leave the back plate off in case you need to readjust.
7) If your tremolo is dipping up way out of the cavity towards the neck your springs have too little tension on them. You will need to remove the back plate on the back of your guitar. The springs are attached to a plate which is screwed into the body of the guitar on the neck end of the guitar. They should be two phillips head screws. Tighten the screws 1 full turn and go back to step #4. Leave the back plate off in case you need to readjust.
Assuming your strings are all in tune and your tremolo is level with the guitar body, tighten all your locking nuts. Make adjustments to the tuning with the fine tuners. Put the back plate back on if you still have it off.
9) Enjoy

Last edited by Pogeybait4883; 10-16-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Tags
tuning rg rg350 floyd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode