RG550 hairline crack - thoughts? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy RG550 hairline crack - thoughts?

I ended up having to sell the first guitar I ever bought and my very last guitar I have left - a '91 RG550 LB on the 'bay last week and shipped it out Monday. The packaging was a work of art - I gave it the proper send off it deserved.

Next morning I get a message from the buyer that he is sending it back because I did not mention the neck crack in the item description. My heart sank. I asked for a photo (link below) and have been here since reading up on everything I can about it.

image hosting over 10mb

If I was a bitter person I would say the headstock has taken quite a blow through four inches of padding and somehow left the outer carton totally unmarked. Or could it be fingerboard tring to get back home to me... He says the crack is all the way through.

So I'm guessing clamp it open a smidge - thin superglue + clamp together? It doesn't look too bad from the photo.

The buyer has said he will take it to a repair shop today to see what they think and price it up and wants me to pay 50% which set off my shenanigans alarm and will have to demand written proof of quotes and receipts etc. Any ideas what this might cost in England?

I'm tempted to have it back and do it myself but then I'd owe paypal or starve to death.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Jay777; 05-11-2016 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Added photo link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 AM

Re: RG550 hairline crack - thoughts?

Are you sure it is your guitar with the crack in it? Did he send other pictures of the guitar with the crack so you can confirm it is not his already owned RG?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

That's a good point he hasn't proven that photo is of the one I sold him. He seems ok but I've been badly burned before so my guard is up.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Did you have a photo of the area on the auction listing? You may try to file an insurance claim to the shipping company as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

I have week old photos but none of that specific view. As for insurance I've already asked and I'm not covered because it wasn't sent in a hardcase.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:22 AM

That's tough. The good thing is, from one single photo, it does look like it's only delaminated fret board, so it is an easy fix.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Yeah that's what I'm hoping it is. It just picked the worst time for it to happen.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

We've come to an agreement - £30 refund for the repair and that ends any liability on my part. The shop confirmed it was just the fretboard rising.

Now that I know it's not coming back I kinda miss it...

Thanks for all the help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 PM

Glad it worked out.

Tags
cracked neck , rg 550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode