RG550 Neck issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

RG550 Neck issues

Hi guys,

I recently picked up a RG550 '91 off an old mate who had it sitting in his shed as a project guitar for a few months, he isn't going to be able to work on it so he's sold it to me for a couple hundred bucks.

To the problems, being a old Ibanez that's been used quite a bit it's got a bit of neck wear on it. I've looked over the forums and have looked up the cleaning guides and what not, I plan to do this to my guitar soon but the problem I'm finding is that there seems to be significant wear under the board for the first 7 frets or so. Will cleaning this well and possibly applying a clear coat help to keep the neck going for future use? I don't want to keep playing it as is if I'm damaging the neck every time I do

The next problem, and the more significant of the two is that the neck isn't sitting straight and has lifted at the moment, my friend has had the guitar strung up with 3 strings at low tension for probably 4 months now, I remember reading somewhere that this can cause problems because of the truss rod tension. The pic I have isn't very decent but you get the idea of how much it's pulled up. Should I adjust the tension or simply string it up properly and it'll fix itself?

Thanks for all the help in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: RG550 Neck issues

As far as the fretboard wear, Its going to require a fair amount of sanding to get all that grime out. The dark stains only respond to sanding. After you sand the board, you can put a finish on it to avoid stains in the future. There are a few tutorials online that helped me through my fretboard re-finish. The second picture I'm having a hard time deciphering. Does the neck have a 'bow' (concave around the center of the neck), or does it have a back bow or arch backwards. Not having tension on the neck can certainly call for a truss rod adjustment. If the bow is drastically significant, I would first straighten the neck before stringing the guitar. The reason for this is to avoid any further tension on an already out of wack neck. First start by turning the truss rod counter clockwise ( to the left) to be sure the rod is properly working, then after you established that its in operating order, tighten it until the neck starts to straighten, then restring.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 02:58 PM

Reviews: 18

Forgot to mention, If the stains don't bother you, you don't have to remove them; they will not effect the neck. If they are rough and a hindrance to your playing, the certainly sanding would be the best way to go. Some people prefer the aesthetic appeal of a worn neck. I personally like my necks clean and finished. I used 'tru oil' on my necks after I sanded out all the stains and imperfections. Cures In only hours and Is durable as opposed to tung oil which takes much longer to cure. A simple google search on birchwood casey tru oil will shed some light on the topic.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great reply,

I defiantly like my necks clean, especially these maples since they're so lightly colored. I think I'll find a product like you described down here and have a go at some of the frets and just give them a bit of a clean, I might sand back the neck in the future when I have more experience working on them. I usually just work around the bridge area, I don't usually deal with neck issues as most of my guitars are only 10 years old at a maximum and in pretty good shape.

The whole neck joint area of this guitar is causing me a headache, I really love these RG's but this is becoming a pain, haha. I've found a small crack at the neck joint, I've seen these many time before and I've been told most of the time they're harmless but I'm always skeptical.

What do you think of that? I think I'm going to have to take this into one of my luthiers to have a good look at. I think some of these neck problems might be cause by some weather conditions in my area lately so I guess I'll see what they say about it and go from there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 AM

most of those cracks are cosmetic only...in the paint...a few of mine do it, too including a 560 I've had since 1988...it's still plays like a dream!

Tags
rg550 neck maple problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode