RG560 restoration (aka hackjob) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

RG560 restoration (aka hackjob)

Hi all. First any input/suggestions appreciated.

What follows below is my first attempt at refinishing a guitar. I bought an old square heel RG 560 a year or so ago for a couple hundred bucks. Has a little fret wear and the original owner had a local guitar shop cut the front route to take a humbucker. So essentially tried to convert it to a 570. The color was still the factory finish, but there were some chips in the finish with exposed wood. I was going to repaint it and just try to epoxy in the holes where the chips had occured.

However after pulling the electronics I found that the 'luthier" who had done the original mod had simply freehanded the route. The hole was all "wonky" (crooked) and one of the pickup rings screws didn't actually do anything more than make contact on one side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Re: RG560 restoration (aka hackjob)

SOOOO. Not wanting to keep it simple and just repaint it, I did the first stupid thing I could think of and grabbed a heat gun and removed the finish (After wasting 2 cans of aircraft stripper in a futile attempt to remove the factory clear). The picture in the first post shows me about halfway through removing it....and yes those are scorch marks. Luckily they were very superficial and sanded out with minimal effort.

Then I got really stupid and decided, with my limited knowledge of woodworking, to try to "repair' the original route and take it back to a HSS configuration. I probably should have bought a template and filled the entire thing in and rerouted it. What I did instead was to grab a piece of basswood and use a jigsaw to cut a piece to fit into the hole like this.....

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Finished sanding (which I don't have pics of) and epoxied in a few small dings, skimmed and then primed.

You can see that the "fixed" piece isn't as smooth as I could have preferred. In fact I'm not sure if I really improved anything, but either way its done now.

Last edited by Mskrad; 05-24-2013 at 12:01 PM.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

So I decided to do a variation/tribute to the LNG. I've shot some HOK for a bike I did, but I decided just to use a rattle can for this since I'm trying not to sink any more money than I have to for my first try. I found some stuff called Liquitex which is an acrylic polyurethane. Sprays much easier than most rattlecan I've used before. No globs of paint getting thrown around and no issues with drips. It does have a fairly fine spray head (but they actually sell a pack to change the shape of the spray if you are so inclined. ) Dries pretty darn fast.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Another couple of coats (this stuff goes on very thin..but very evenly)

Also, in the process of attemtping to use paint stripper, I unintentionally removed the shielding paint. so Instead of trying to reapply it, I'm going to use copper backed foil tape to shield the cavities.

Current status: I sanded the paint to 600 (probably unnecessary), then reapplied several more coats. This weekend I'm going to apply the shielding tape/copper to all of the routes/cavities. I bought some Eastwood 2K clearcoat that I plan to use when the weather turns a little better around here.

In the meantime I've got to find some pink pickups and some yellow knobs. If anyone has a single source for these I would appreciate any recommendations. I'm probably going to put an EVO 2 in the Bridge and a PG injector in the neck. Still not sure what do do with the middle pickup. Again, any recommendations would be appreciated.

I was tempted to have the fretboard reinlaid (livewire seems to do nice work) with pyramids, but Figure I'll wait until I see how the end result of this current project is before I tackle that. If it turns out like crap, at least I haven't sunk that much money into it.

I'll post more pictures as this progresses.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Very cool.ill be watching the progress
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Green! My favorite color for a guitar. I can't wait to see it when it is finished.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Clear coat was delivered today. If I can get the cavities shielded tonight I should be able to get it cleared tomorrow ( if the weather holds). Otherwise it will be next week. Supposed to rain Sunday -wed
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

This is a pain in the butt to do. Still have a few areas that need to be touched up. When the temperature, rain and humidity cooperate, the clear will go on.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Reviews: 2

Nice work M......... this is a project after my own heart

Make sure you paint the pickup cavities black. You don't want to see the copper tape when the pups are installed.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Good point. I was considering painting them neon pink or yellow but that may be overdoing it a bit
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 05:15 PM

Reviews: 13

When I saw the first pic in this thread I was wondering where this was going tp go and was a little worried . However you have managed to recover well. I look forward to seeing how this rolls out.

-Wolfram
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Well apparently we are having a monsoon season in mid Missouri this year so looks like it may be a week or two before it is dry enough to shoot the clear
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
When I saw the first pic in this thread I was wondering where this was going tp go and was a little worried . However you have managed to recover well. I look forward to seeing how this rolls out.

-Wolfram
+1 nice job sir!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM

Did you used E-poxy ti fill the humbucker space and make it a single coil again?

I may need to do that on a AANJ neck pocket.

Tags
rg refinish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode