RG570 goes out of tune (edge) & some complaints - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

RG570 goes out of tune (edge) & some complaints

This is my first guitar with an edge tremolo so I watched a guide on how to set it up.

I follow this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=TVkXvpZrZwk

I did not change the strings since the guitar came with them on already.

What I did is...

- roughly tune the guitar
- adjust the tremolo with the screws in the back so the knife edge is parallel to the body
- lower the action as low it could go with an allen key
- adjust the fine tuners

The problem is every time I divebomb or pull up it goes slightly sharp. It doesn't go completely out of tune. I can dive or pull up multiple times and it stays between e-flat and e. The low and high e strings stay closer to being in tune than the the others.

I tightened the nut by finger and then with an allen key until I felt it tight. I didn't want to strip anything.

I heard people like the RG550's and RG570's with super low action which is what I have on my other guitar. I lowered it until I couldn't go anymore, but it's still not as low as my other guitar. I still prefer the low action on the other guitar. At least I can say it doesn't buzz, which my other one buzzes all over the place.

Also is it normal for the low e string to slide right off the fret so easily? I'm not doing it as much now, but say I jump from the 5th string to the 6th string quickly, I would sometimes push the string off the fret and it would buzz.

I am also not impressed with the pickups. I know people got these guitars and swapped them out, but many have also said the V1/S2/V2 were great for stock pickups. I'd say they sound equal on clean and slightly worse on gain compared to my cheap guitar. I was hoping they would be really hot for metal.

I do like the neck and the body of this guitar a lot, though I'm still getting use to the scale and jumbo frets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Re: RG570 goes out of tune (edge) & some complaints

Whenever you get a new guitar, used or new, it's always a good idea to change the strings right away.
Go to www.ibanezrules.com and look at Rich's tech section.
There's a great tutorial on there for complete setup.
You E string going off the side sounds like a neck alignment issue.
Can you post some pictures so we can see your guitar and how it's set up currently?
I've never hear the V1-V2 pickups, so I can't say, but I have read many, many times that they sound much better than the V7-V8 pickups used in RGs currently.
My two of my guitars came with aftermarket pickups, my third has the IBZ/Dimarzio pickups and contrary to what I've read about them, I really like them.
A good, proper setup is crucial to having a good playing, and good sounding guitar.
Change the strings, I'll bet your guitar will sound a lot better with a new set of strings.
Again, check the neck alignment. Both E strings should be about the same distance from the edges of the board, if one is close, or if it's much closer at the last fret compared to the first fret, your neck is out of line.
It's an easy fix. Just slightly loosen the neck bolts and tug gently on the neck in the direction opposite of the string that is too close to the edge. Check the alignment and repeat if needed. Tighten the bolts (don't go nuts, just tight enough to hold it still) and you should be good to go.
post #3 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 PM

+1 on what Meechy said, follow Rich guide and don't forget to stretch your strings.
Also the V1V2 being very good stock PU's is a very different thing to them being hot for metal (which IMO would make them worse), but before you buy some new ones search the forum for LonePhantom's magnet swap mod and give it a try, i've never done it but i hear they really bring new life to the PUs.
post #4 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM

V1/V2s are fine as is. V7/V8 is the combo LP did the magnet swap on. The V1/V2 combo can do metal, I do it all the time with my RG5000. If you want stupid chuggy djent boring downtuned stuff, change pups and give me your v1/v2. And no, metla is not only stupid djent nowadays, there is plenty of non-downtuned metal out there, don't call all metal that boring chuggy stuff.
post #5 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
V1/V2s are fine as is. V7/V8 is the combo LP did the magnet swap on. The V1/V2 combo can do metal, I do it all the time with my RG5000. If you want stupid chuggy djent boring downtuned stuff, change pups and give me your v1/v2. And no, metla is not only stupid djent nowadays, there is plenty of non-downtuned metal out there, don't call all metal that boring chuggy stuff.
You are right the swap mod was for the V7/V8 combo, but yeah i agree with you that they can do metal.

Also chill out with your djent rant man, different people have different tastes, i'm a metalhead myself and i've really come to hate all the snobbery of the fans, like what is trve metal and what is not and also i don't think the guy ever mentioned he played djent, i mean why would anyone pick a six string guitar with floating trem to play djent? i mean his user name is Terrorizer he's probably more "TRVE" than you haha
post #6 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
You are right the swap mod was for the V7/V8 combo, but yeah i agree with you that they can do metal.

Also chill out with your djent rant man, different people have different tastes, i'm a metalhead myself and i've really come to hate all the snobbery of the fans, like what is trve metal and what is not and also i don't think the guy ever mentioned he played djent, i mean why would anyone pick a six string guitar with floating trem to play djent? i mean his user name is Terrorizer he's probably more "TRVE" than you haha
Umm I doubt that, like seriously I'll save my credential showing for another day

But my point about that modern stuff is that people now consider that the only thing to be metal and forget about the forefathers of metal like Priest or Iron Maiden, who played in E standard (priest does E flat now for Rob, but they have always typically been E standard). No one plays in E standard anymore, and I find that sad, especially for metal. I'm back to E standard after a long haul with E flat, and I've tuned down as far as C# standard.

That leads directly into my point about the V1/V2. Use them in E or E flat and you'll be fine, downtune more than that and they probably won't sound as good. They were made in an era before all that insane downtuning junk started.
post #7 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:59 PM

A440 for life, creativity and experimentation is for posers! Maiden and Priest 4ever!

I get your points, and adore both Maiden and Priest, but the way you present them is laughable. Plenty of bands still play in E standard, Eb, or Drop D. Just like plenty of bands tuned below standard way before "Djent".

Pantera's "Great Southern Trendkill" released in 1996. C standard used on album, Octave G on two songs.

At The Gates' "Slaughter of the Soul" released in 1995. B standard entire album.

Fear Factory's "Obsolete" released in 1998. A standard and B standard used throughout the album.

Just three quick examples I knew off of the top of my head. Nothing new, it's just more common now, so common that manufacturers have finally caught up with the players and now cater to them with various pickups, strings, scale length, ect... which just makes it easier for players to try out lower tunings.

Your disdain for low tunings seems to all revolve around your love of the V1/V2's haha

/end derail
post #8 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Umm I doubt that, like seriously I'll save my credential showing for another day

But my point about that modern stuff is that people now consider that the only thing to be metal and forget about the forefathers of metal like Priest or Iron Maiden, who played in E standard (priest does E flat now for Rob, but they have always typically been E standard). No one plays in E standard anymore, and I find that sad, especially for metal. I'm back to E standard after a long haul with E flat, and I've tuned down as far as C# standard.

That leads directly into my point about the V1/V2. Use them in E or E flat and you'll be fine, downtune more than that and they probably won't sound as good. They were made in an era before all that insane downtuning junk started.
Hahaha man trust me i get what you are saying, and lm just gonna make an assumption here that by your username you like Stratovarious, and i don't know if you remember but the late 90s early 2000s Euro Power Metal explosion was considered to worst thing to happen to Metal by "trve" fans since glam lets just say that if im at a gig and see two guys one with a Stratovarius shirt and other with a Terrorizer shirt i'd assume that the latter knows more his stuff than the former lol, i like Power Metal btw i'm just giving some perspective.

And if you're gonna talk about the forefathers, dude Sabbath was downtuned, seriously children of the grave? that is in like Db or something, and i don't know about you but i wouldn't call Iommi a poser if i saw him in the street lol.

Also i'm not an expert but isn't Djent more about extra strings than downtuning? or do these guys also downtune their 8s and 9 strings axes?
post #9 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthyrian View Post
A440 for life, creativity and experimentation is for posers! Maiden and Priest 4ever!

Your disdain for low tunings seems to all revolve around your love of the V1/V2's haha

/end derail
Well he does have a point though about newer generations that only consider the new stuff to be real metal or whatever, but that happens every generation not just this one.

Is like those Black Metal fans who would only listen to a band who records their albums on 4-track with just one mic in their basement, and the only way to get it is to send a letter to singer (who lives with his mom) with a picture of yourself sacrificing a goat.
post #10 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Is like those Black Metal fans who would only listen to a band who records their albums on 4-track with just one mic in their basement, and the only way to get it is to send a letter to singer (who lives with his mom) with a picture of yourself sacrificing a goat.
Wait...
I could have just sacrificed a goat to get 'We're a Bunch of Losers' latest CD titled 'Where Have All The Smart People Gone?'
(burned on a PC and labeled with a Sharpie)
I didn't have to send him that picture of my boobs covered in melted chocolate and whipped cream?
Sorry guys, I'm in a mood this morning....kept my man up most of the night and I'm just full of 'energy' now.
post #11 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Hahaha man trust me i get what you are saying, and lm just gonna make an assumption here that by your username you like Stratovarious, and i don't know if you remember but the late 90s early 2000s Euro Power Metal explosion was considered to worst thing to happen to Metal by "trve" fans since glam lets just say that if im at a gig and see two guys one with a Stratovarius shirt and other with a Terrorizer shirt i'd assume that the latter knows more his stuff than the former lol, i like Power Metal btw i'm just giving some perspective.

And if you're gonna talk about the forefathers, dude Sabbath was downtuned, seriously children of the grave? that is in like Db or something, and i don't know about you but i wouldn't call Iommi a poser if i saw him in the street lol.

Also i'm not an expert but isn't Djent more about extra strings than downtuning? or do these guys also downtune their 8s and 9 strings axes?
I like Stratovarius, but my favorite album is pre-kotipelto (Dreamspace) and I have grown up all around metal. I listen to various types but I like clear, melodic metal. I'm revisiting a lot of stuff I missed when I was younger, like Dokken and Yngwie.

Sabbath was downtuned due to necessity (Iommi's Fingertip accident), not for some lazy reason like, "Oh this is the in thing now, we need to downtune too, and all the way down to drop B or drop A." I don't like that sort of downtuning.

Also, I hate the term glam. That's that commercialized crap like Ratt and Poison, I like REAL LA metal, like Snow, Smile, Sound Barrier, Hurricane, etc.

I'm far more knowledged on metal than you think I am
post #12 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 AM

Well this thread went off the rails, let's see if we can't get back on track.

First things first; go to Rich's ibanezrules tech page which can be found here: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
Read up, it has pretty much everything you need to know about setting up your guitar.

Now lets address a few of your specific issues:
The first thing you need to do is put new strings on. I suspect new strings will help with the tuning stability issues. Be mindful of the string guage, pick the one you plan on using for a while. If you change string guages you'll have to redo your setup. In your case get whatever guage you like because it sounds like you still need to work on the setup anway. And don't forget to streach your stings, this is actually a crucial step for floyd type bridges.

Another note on the tuning stability. I'm making the assumption that your guitar is brand new. If it is you shouldn't have to worry about this next part. If you got yor guitar 2nd hand read on. Take a look at the knife edges to make sure they are sharp and don't have any gunk on them. Take a look at the posts also to make sure they are not worn or have gunk on them. These are 2 issues that could make the trem not return to zero and cause tuning stabilitiy issues.

For the action, follow Rich's guide from the link I provided above. This should get you to where you want to be. His guide cover's pretty much everything. Only thing I'll add is if you want super low action expect a little string buzz.

Your e string slipping off the end of the fret sounds like it is a neck alignment issue. This shouldn't be a problem to fix. Just loosen the neck screws slightly and move the neck into the correct position. While holding it where it needs to be tighten the neck screws back down. Two things on doing this; first just very lightly pull on the neck to get it into position, don't go yanking on it you don't want to mess up the neck joint. The second thing, fot the love of dog don't wedge a pick into the neck pocket to get the neck in position. All that will do is put stress on the neck pocket and eventually crack it.

As far as the pickups go this is all going to be a matter of personal preference and how you judge them. If your looking for a specific tone to fit a particular style of music then you will probably not like them. If you keep in mind that stock pickups are usually designed to fit a broad spectrum of music and players you may not be as critical. Personally I thing the V1 & V2 sound fairly decent compared to the rest of the V series pickups. But again this is all personal preference.

If your not too happy with the V1 & V2, before investing in a new set of pups you can try a magnet swap. It's very easy to do and pickup magnets are really cheap. LonePhantom did his experiments with the V7 & V8 pups. He only swapped magnets around between the 2 pups. I took it a step further using the infinity series pups and ran the gambit of different magnets from A2 to A9 to ceramic. If you want to see my results hear's the link to that thread http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/in...ts-132654.html
The results are for an INF2 puckup but in general hold true for all the other pickups I tested with only slight variations in tone.
post #13 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 08:38 AM

If I recall correctly, I think at one time Dave Mustaine said that your a p**sy if you can't play a heavy riff in A440....made me chuckle,.....I like to play some me some C.O.C or Down on occasion. ..
Meechy... nice comments!!! Lol.. you must have some wicked strong hormones running thru your blood today!!
post #14 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitre View Post
If I recall correctly, I think at one time Dave Mustaine said that your a p**sy if you can't play a heavy riff in A440....made me chuckle,.....I like to play some me some C.O.C or Down on occasion. ..
Meechy... nice comments!!! Lol.. you must have some wicked strong hormones running thru your blood today!!
I tried down tuning once, really didn't like it. Sure you can make the floors vibrate with it low like that, but isn't that why you have a bass player???

LOL, thanks, you should search through and find some of the conversations I've had with Rich....we get rather...um....'colorful'.
I'm actually a little sore this morning, not that you need to know that.
PS
It was worth it!
Okay, too much... sorry mods, I'll stop now.
post #15 of 172 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meechy View Post
I tried down tuning once, really didn't like it. Sure you can make the floors vibrate with it low like that, but isn't that why you have a bass player???

LOL, thanks, you should search through and find some of the conversations I've had with Rich....we get rather...um....'colorful'.
I'm actually a little sore this morning, not that you need to know that.
PS
It was worth it!
Okay, too much... sorry mods, I'll stop now.
TMI Meechy, TMI!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode