RG570 OEdge does not stay in tune-tips? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

RG570 OEdge does not stay in tune-tips?

Hello all,
I would like to ask if you have in tips about getting guitar in tune. I realized the guitar is not holding tune well, even with low dives or screams. I read many guides and of course Riches tech setup.

Resp. if you can say from the photos, if something seems really bad (I do not think so though).

Guitar is 10 yo. Two of three springs are new. Knifes were always in "V". I have setup experience with LFR and Korean ORF on my BC Rich which hold tune forever (4-5 yo I guess), so Original Edge should be pretty same.

Only mistake I had on a guitar was string retainer too high, but this should not affect overall performance, because FR types are missing this totally. Nut is tightened well and does not move.

I would like to ask for tip about "chapstick", though. Is the the product specially for winter seazon for lips not to crack or just the "shine for lips"? Used the first on on my BC Rich so far, but maybe it is different product.

Here are photos, some are bit blurry though, but could be enough. Thanks you all for any help and tips.

Last edited by Wakizashis; 02-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Re: RG570 OEdge does not stay in tune-tips?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Reviews: 37

I would check the trem post inserts to see if they are tight in the body.
Put the studs in and tighten the locknut then push them and see if they move even try it lightly with pliers.

And im sure you stretched the strings good.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Hello,
sorry for my not great English. You mean those "screews - studs" which has V inside and are "plugged" inside metal barrel? I tried to insert the stud inside, tightened it and tried to move with it. Seems that barrel is not moving at all, just the stud is moving bit, but very slightly. I would say, it is really same as on my BC Rich.

And by locknut, do you mean the "zero fret" right?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM

no. the female barrels that are in the wood body.
And by lock studs i mean the screws that are inside the studs 1.5 mm .

put the studs in and tighten the internal 1.5 screws and see if the body inserts move at all.
if thats not moving then somethings loose somewhere ( your neck? strings not stretched? locknut loose?)

My ibanez oedge stay tuned for months.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Hello thank you. The female barrel seems to be tight inside. And after tighten the studs inside it surely does not move. Or is there other way, how to tighten up? I lightened inside and do not see anything. When the stud is highered a bit due the action, the stud moves a little bit but it is same as on by MC Rich. Maybe I did not understand what you said to me.

I do not believe the Edge is bad, so it must be something in me.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakizashis View Post
Hello thank you. The female barrel seems to be tight inside. And after tighten the studs inside it surely does not move. Or is there other way, how to tighten up? I lightened inside and do not see anything. When the stud is highered a bit due the action, the stud moves a little bit but it is same as on by MC Rich. Maybe I did not understand what you said to me.

I do not believe the Edge is bad, so it must be something in me.
Then trem is good .
sounds like the neck loose or toplock is loose.
but more probably the strings are not stretched good.
also get the spring retainer back on the bottom of the trem.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
Then trem is good .
sounds like the neck loose or toplock is loose.
but more probably the strings are not stretched good.
also get the spring retainer back on the bottom of the trem.
Hello toplock is term for these three blocks of zero fret? Now I remember I used bit of pencil graphite near saddles and on zero fret, could be the problem. Also the chapstick is "shine for lips"? or the product used for lips in winter season? seems as some combinationof wax, honey and what do I know...

Last edited by Wakizashis; 02-19-2012 at 02:18 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 11

Yes, it's the locking nut of your guitar. The thing with three pads Don't use pencil graphite on locking nut.. Graphite is normally used on non-locking nuts to help the strings slide in their slots as it helps to maintain tuning stability. Locking nut is meant to lock the strings in one place so they don't move at all. So no need for graphite there. And yes, chapstick is the stuff you put on your lips to moisturise them.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostStorm View Post
Yes, it's the locking nut of your guitar. The thing with three pads Don't use pencil graphite on locking nut. Graphite is normally used on non-locking nuts to help the strings slide in their slots as it helps to maintain tuning stability. Locking nut is meant to lock the strings in one place so they don't move at all. So no need for graphite there. And yes, chapstick is the stuff you put on your lips to moisturise them.
Hello. It could be finished now. We ll see tomorrow, when neck adapts to tense loss and gain. Thank you. I do not know why I used graphite even on locking nut. Totally opposite, what the locking nut is for. For saddles it was good idea though.

Last edited by Wakizashis; 02-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Hello all, everything was separated, checked and given all together. The guitar is in tune after dive and most of the time even on Pull up, sometimes some note is tiny bit sharp, but I used only vst tuner.

Not sure where the problem was. I tried to tighten everything a bit to be sure everything is ok. Thanks for the help.

Tags
rg570 original edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode