RG570 sad days... nut not original? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

RG570 sad days... nut not original?

I've been playing my RG570 for a few months now and I am not completely satisfied. After reading all these extremely positive reviews of RG550/560/570 I am sad I don't have the same experience...

I had read many comments (before purchasing) that said a Floyd Rose is a pain in the ass to change tunings. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I didn't think a change from Eb to E Standard would be difficult. Boy was I wrong. Once again I followed Rich's guide but all I did was put all the strings out of tune and the tremolo to the sky! I detuned the strings and screwed in the claw screws at RGTFanatic's suggestion. Once I started tuning again I snapped the high E. The one string I continue to break on every guitar.

Before I wanted to change tunings the guitar stayed perfectly in Eb. I abused the hell out of the tremolo bar and It came back to near perfect pitch every time. I wanted to play in Standard tuning now but as you read I did not get there...

Now I love the neck of this guitar, love the look, the pickups are versatile, though it seems many lovers of this guitar swap to DiMarzios. My biggest issue is string slippage.

The High E and low E string slip off the fretboard the higher up you go. Just a little push and it slides off making a horrible buzz noise. I don't have perfect technique and I've been trying improve my picking because of this slippage but now it's just getting annoying. Doing a run, landing on a chord in the middle of the fretboard, or pulling off to high/low E and BUZZ!

This leads me to believe the nut is not original. I have looked at other RG550's online for sale and while the nut on those guitars looks identical to mine, my nut seems to have a slight overhang on both sides of the neck.

Now I am questioning why would someone change the nut? The guys in my one thread said it's a genuine RG570. The tremolo is the real Edge, the neck seems to be the original Wizard (did rough measurements), the pickups are right, the serial checks out... What reason would there be to change the nut?

So now I sit here with a nice looking, out of tune guitar, with one broken string, and string slippage. Boo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Banned

Re: RG570 sad days... nut not original?

^^ ha ha. I was into 6-string floyds for all my life, only to find that the edge ii-7 string drove me nuts, like I was a noob!
Some reasons the previous owner might have changed the nut :
1) badly cut slots giving sitar-like sounds
2) stripped threads on the bolt holes
3) altering height without a shim?

Anyway, what you gotta do is measure your nuts specs (height, width, depth, especially E-E spacing, and offset between string and start of fret rounding) and compare it with other users. You may use a digital caliper for greater precision.
You also can measure your nut shelf's width (41mm, 42mm, 43mmetc...) and order a similar nut : floyd rose R1,R3, according to specs.

PS
While you are at it, also measure your bridge's specs just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by panix; 12-11-2015 at 06:25 AM.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:16 AM

rich should have a replacement nut in stock. I'd drop him an email and tell him what you have.

the best advice is to take measurements and compare to known setup specs.
post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Banned

Terrorizer, here you might find some useful info from my adventures with nuts : http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thr...s-strat?page=2

Your E-E spacing must be :
nut_width - (margin_high_E + margin_low_E) =
nut_width - (margin_high_E_to_beveled_start + length_of_beveled_part + margin_low_E_to_beveled_start + length_of_beveled_part)

Maybe we could say that for legato, vibrato, pull offs, a figure such as
nut_width - outer_E_E_spacing = 8mm is a good approximation.

So for a 42mm nut, E-E has to be 34mm, for 43mm it becomes 35mm and so on.

For other types of playing, not requiring extreme vibrato, then we might loosen up the formula to nut_width - outer_E_E_spacing = 7mm, i think.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:19 AM

How close are your strings to the edge of the fretboard? If there was an industry standard for ibanez in the 90s, the high e should be roughly 4.5mm away from the edge at the 12th, and the low E should be around 2.25-2.5mm away at the 12th. If the nut is significantly wider than the fretboard, then follow j.arledge's advice and buy a replacement from rich. Here are some awfully taken pictures:

From RG570

If your nuts are too big, you're gonna have a bad time...
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:22 AM

P.S. If you want to change tunings, you can buy a trem stopper (found on amazon, works really well), but you will lose your ability to pull up, as it is dive only.

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post
If there was an industry standard for ibanez in the 90s, the high e should be roughly 4.5mm away from the edge at the 12th, and the low E should be around 2.25-2.5mm away at the 12th.
This is simply string misalignment. It should be >=3.5mm on both sides.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
This is simply string misalignment. It should be >=3.5mm on both sides.
Sorry, i measured from the shadow on the treble side, as fretboard is slightly rolled off. Is 3.5mm measured from the center of the bass string or the edge ? from the center of the bass string, it is around 3.5mm, but not from the edge. Both my 570 and 550 are like this.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Vendor

Measure the nut base, if it's 43mm it's almost certainly the original. The overhang is cause by 2 reasons, this was a time when there was a lot of hand finishing to the necks and sometimes they got sanded a little more than others, and, wood shrinks, just as frets get exposed at their ends, so do nuts. Also these were 56mm [55mm actual] heel necks and when they shrink you start running out of clearance fast. Not to mention if it's been properly taken care of over the years, some techs will just shave the ends without regard to if they're removing playing surface from the fret or not.

People complain a lot about the current 58mm [57 actual] heel necks, but they eliminates most of these problems.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental View Post
Sorry, i measured from the shadow on the treble side, as fretboard is slightly rolled off. Is 3.5mm measured from the center of the bass string or the edge ? from the center of the bass string, it is around 3.5mm, but not from the edge. Both my 570 and 550 are like this.
The idea is to have at least 2mm between your string to the start of the fret's bevelled part. If we assume 2mm as the length across the bevelled part, then you get those 2+2=4mm on each side (measuring from the centres). So 3.5mm is marginally ok. But you want this on your treble side as well.
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

I don't have any digital calipers so I guess I will have to find a pair to get an accurate measurement.
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:38 PM
Banned

They are very cheap. About 10 EUR on ebay. But you can tell by using Ibanez's supplied multi-tool. It includes a ruler with precision up to 10's of the mm.
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorizer View Post
I don't have any digital calipers so I guess I will have to find a pair to get an accurate measurement.
Which is why any mm rule will do. Since you're from "jemsite" I don't know if you're metric but if you're not it's 1 9/16", at the base.
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
They are very cheap. About 10 EUR on ebay. But you can tell by using Ibanez's supplied multi-tool. It includes a ruler with precision up to 10's of the mm.
I never got a multi-tool. I bought the guitar used.

I borrowed some calipers so here is the measurement of the nut.

1.7 inch = 43.18

I'll upload a picture tomorrow just so you can see yourself.

Is there anything else I should measure or from this can deduce that the wood has shrunk?

Also accidental/panix I don't understand your post relating to the pictures above. The high/low e should be 3.5mm away from the edge of fretboard. Maybe it's because, I am tired. I put a ruler there, it's sticking out..? Am I missing something?

Last edited by terrorizer; 12-14-2015 at 10:10 PM.
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Vendor

If the measurement is correct it would be an odd measurement for a nut, but not original.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode